Sep 20, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
Mark Hollis is widely considered one of the most forward-thinking athletic directors in the country, and rightfully so.
Have you noticed that Michigan State always seems to be involved in those cool, unique, early-season events? The Champions Classic, the Carrier Classic, the Armed Forces Classic against UConn in Germany? Well, that is directly attributable to Hollis, because he’s the brain-child of quite a few of these events. He’s one of the masterminds between the 16-team mega-tournament to be held in 2017, and he’s also pushed for a game between USC and Michigan State — the Spartans and the Trojans — in Greece.
His latest idea?
A game in Pearl Harbor.
Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis said Thursday he would like the Spartans to play a future basketball game at Pearl Harbor.
Playing at the historic site in Hawaii is an idea that has been “bantered around by a few folks” at Michigan State and ESPN, though no formal discussions have taken place while the Spartans prepare for their season opener at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, according to Hollis.
ESPN announced Wednesday the Armed Forces Classic would be a five-year series of Division I men’s basketball games played on military bases overseas beginning with the Nov. 9 opener between Michigan State and Connecticut.
“I think there are some great locations, and ESPN is such a good partner that we would be very open to participating to new and unique things,” Hollis said. “I think playing a game out at Pearl Harbor is something that would be intriguing.”
I’d like to volunteer my services to cover the event.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead