Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams checked out of UNC Hospitals on Thursday afternoon, just one day after having surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney.
After doctors found the tumor during a physical exam earlier in the month, Williams had to undergo a three and a half hour procedure to remove the growth.
School officials expect to know within a week the severity of the tumor, and there’s also the chance that there may need to be a second procedure to remove a tumor from Williams’ left kidney.
According to yesterday’s report doctors don’t expect Williams, who has won two national titles at his alma mater, to miss any practice time.
And in a statement released by the school on Wednesday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham didn’t seem too concerned about things if Williams did have to miss some time.
“The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay,” said Cunningham. “As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as Coach Williams recuperates.
“We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)