Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams checked out of UNC Hospitals on Thursday afternoon, just one day after having surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney.
After doctors found the tumor during a physical exam earlier in the month, Williams had to undergo a three and a half hour procedure to remove the growth.
School officials expect to know within a week the severity of the tumor, and there’s also the chance that there may need to be a second procedure to remove a tumor from Williams’ left kidney.
According to yesterday’s report doctors don’t expect Williams, who has won two national titles at his alma mater, to miss any practice time.
And in a statement released by the school on Wednesday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham didn’t seem too concerned about things if Williams did have to miss some time.
“The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay,” said Cunningham. “As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as Coach Williams recuperates.
“We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)