Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams checked out of UNC Hospitals on Thursday afternoon, just one day after having surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney.
After doctors found the tumor during a physical exam earlier in the month, Williams had to undergo a three and a half hour procedure to remove the growth.
School officials expect to know within a week the severity of the tumor, and there’s also the chance that there may need to be a second procedure to remove a tumor from Williams’ left kidney.
According to yesterday’s report doctors don’t expect Williams, who has won two national titles at his alma mater, to miss any practice time.
And in a statement released by the school on Wednesday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham didn’t seem too concerned about things if Williams did have to miss some time.
“The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay,” said Cunningham. “As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as Coach Williams recuperates.
“We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)