Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams checked out of UNC Hospitals on Thursday afternoon, just one day after having surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney.
After doctors found the tumor during a physical exam earlier in the month, Williams had to undergo a three and a half hour procedure to remove the growth.
School officials expect to know within a week the severity of the tumor, and there’s also the chance that there may need to be a second procedure to remove a tumor from Williams’ left kidney.
According to yesterday’s report doctors don’t expect Williams, who has won two national titles at his alma mater, to miss any practice time.
And in a statement released by the school on Wednesday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham didn’t seem too concerned about things if Williams did have to miss some time.
“The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay,” said Cunningham. “As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as Coach Williams recuperates.
“We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)