Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 PM EDT
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams checked out of UNC Hospitals on Thursday afternoon, just one day after having surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney.
After doctors found the tumor during a physical exam earlier in the month, Williams had to undergo a three and a half hour procedure to remove the growth.
School officials expect to know within a week the severity of the tumor, and there’s also the chance that there may need to be a second procedure to remove a tumor from Williams’ left kidney.
According to yesterday’s report doctors don’t expect Williams, who has won two national titles at his alma mater, to miss any practice time.
And in a statement released by the school on Wednesday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham didn’t seem too concerned about things if Williams did have to miss some time.
“The basketball team is also in outstanding hands with Steve Robinson, CB McGrath, Hubert Davis and Joe Holladay,” said Cunningham. “As Coach Williams frequently says, he has the best staff in the country and I know they will do an excellent job as Coach Williams recuperates.
“We will be ready for his return as soon as he is able to do so, but I have stressed to him that he returns only when he has been given the medical approval and he is ready to do that. Hopefully that will be soon and for a long, long time to come.”
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)