Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
UCLA could receive some good news in the very near future, as freshman forward Kyle Anderson is likely to be cleared according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
The NCAA has been looking into the recruitment of Anderson for nearly a month, a situation that essentially began with an investigation into fellow UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad.
But while Muhammad’s case remains up in the air, according to Zagoria’s source it seems likely that the versatile Anderson is close to being cleared.
“The UCLA compliance office is confident that he will be cleared before practice starts Oct. 12,” the source said.
This is big news for the Bruins, but it’s important to note that NCAA investigations can be a bit of a fluid situation. If something were to change this can always be revisited.
Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) September 20, 2012
In Anderson UCLA has a player who is more than capable of initiating things offensively for a team expected to contend in the Pac-12.
With some being concerned about North Carolina transfer Larry Drew II at the point, having Anderson on the floor would give UCLA an additional ball-handler to make things go.
Whether or not Ben Howland’s team actually plays faster remains to be seen (they did in China, but to be fair that was against inferior competition), but Anderson’s skills should help in that regard.
And the possible defensive concerns regarding Anderson? Keep in mind that both Tyler Lamb and Norman Powell are capable perimeter defenders, so it’s unlikely that Howland would have Anderson guard a jet-quick point guard for long stretches.
Luckily for UCLA Anderson was able to make the trip to China, giving him some valuable game action before the investigation began, and with this happening in September rust shouldn’t be a concern.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)