Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
UCLA could receive some good news in the very near future, as freshman forward Kyle Anderson is likely to be cleared according to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.
The NCAA has been looking into the recruitment of Anderson for nearly a month, a situation that essentially began with an investigation into fellow UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad.
But while Muhammad’s case remains up in the air, according to Zagoria’s source it seems likely that the versatile Anderson is close to being cleared.
“The UCLA compliance office is confident that he will be cleared before practice starts Oct. 12,” the source said.
This is big news for the Bruins, but it’s important to note that NCAA investigations can be a bit of a fluid situation. If something were to change this can always be revisited.
Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) September 20, 2012
In Anderson UCLA has a player who is more than capable of initiating things offensively for a team expected to contend in the Pac-12.
With some being concerned about North Carolina transfer Larry Drew II at the point, having Anderson on the floor would give UCLA an additional ball-handler to make things go.
Whether or not Ben Howland’s team actually plays faster remains to be seen (they did in China, but to be fair that was against inferior competition), but Anderson’s skills should help in that regard.
And the possible defensive concerns regarding Anderson? Keep in mind that both Tyler Lamb and Norman Powell are capable perimeter defenders, so it’s unlikely that Howland would have Anderson guard a jet-quick point guard for long stretches.
Luckily for UCLA Anderson was able to make the trip to China, giving him some valuable game action before the investigation began, and with this happening in September rust shouldn’t be a concern.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3