Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr has to complete a 22-week program to get domestic assault charges dropped
Sep 20, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Patterson High School (Baltimore, MD) point guard and Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr was in court Wednesday on charges of domestic assault for which he was arrested on August 18.
Prosecutors agreed to transfer the case to the inactive docket on the condition that Carr complete a 22-week program at the House of Ruth.
“What I can say is that the House of Ruth’s Gateway Project is a terrific program designed to hold participants accountable for their conduct and to teach them nonviolent relationship skills,” a spokesman for the Baltimore state’s attorney’s office, Mark Cheshire, said in an email.
If Carr completes the program the charges will be dropped, while a failure to follow through on the agreement would open the door for the prosecution to reinstate the charges.
“He didn’t get any special treatment,” Ivan J. Bates, Carr’s attorney, said. “There were no injuries, and it was viewed as a mutual affray. I think both of them are very remorseful about the situation.”
This is quite the opportunity for a young man whose basketball future hit a road block when he was arrested in August.
Of course Seton Hall can’t comment on a verbal commit per NCAA rules, but it would have been known if the program had decided to rescind its offer.
While one is “innocent until proven guilty” few would have blamed head coach Kevin Willard if he and his staff came to the conclusion that they needed to go in another direction.
As a result of Wednesday’s ruling Carr essentially has himself a “22-week opportunity” to take care of business. Hopefully the young man takes advantage of the court’s decision.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3