Sep 21, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
While it’s the job of the coaching staff to go out and recruit the players needed to build a successful program, the most important salesmen in the process tend to be the veterans already on campus.
That was the case in the recruitment of 6-5 point guard Delon Wright, as the San Francisco City College prospect verbally committed to Utah according to the Salt Lake Tribune.
Current Utah senior guard Jarred DuBois was able to sell Wright on committing to the Pac-12 program despite the fact that the Utes won just six games last season.
DuBois, who is a transfer from Loyola Marymount, and Wright have known each other for quite some time and Wright even described him as “like a kind of older brother to me” to Bill Oram of the Salt Lake Tribune.
Wright, who is the younger brother of NBA player Dorrell Wright, was also recruited by Washington, Washington State, Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s.
As a senior at Leuzinger High School in Los Angeles, Wright earned CIF Southern Section Division 1A Player of the Year honors but academics ultimately led him to a prep school in Philadelphia and then CCSF.
Utah’s getting a versatile player who was able to step right into the CCSF rotation and lead the Rams to a 26-2 record and a Coast Conference North Division title.
“I Just felt there was no need to focus on any other schools,” Wright told the Tribune, “because I knew where I wanted to go.”
The task of rebuilding the Utah program is a tough one for Krystkowiak and his staff, but to land a player like Wright is certainly a step in the right direction.
And some of the credit for the addition should go to Jarred DuBois.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)