Sep 21, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
While it’s the job of the coaching staff to go out and recruit the players needed to build a successful program, the most important salesmen in the process tend to be the veterans already on campus.
That was the case in the recruitment of 6-5 point guard Delon Wright, as the San Francisco City College prospect verbally committed to Utah according to the Salt Lake Tribune.
Current Utah senior guard Jarred DuBois was able to sell Wright on committing to the Pac-12 program despite the fact that the Utes won just six games last season.
DuBois, who is a transfer from Loyola Marymount, and Wright have known each other for quite some time and Wright even described him as “like a kind of older brother to me” to Bill Oram of the Salt Lake Tribune.
Wright, who is the younger brother of NBA player Dorrell Wright, was also recruited by Washington, Washington State, Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s.
As a senior at Leuzinger High School in Los Angeles, Wright earned CIF Southern Section Division 1A Player of the Year honors but academics ultimately led him to a prep school in Philadelphia and then CCSF.
Utah’s getting a versatile player who was able to step right into the CCSF rotation and lead the Rams to a 26-2 record and a Coast Conference North Division title.
“I Just felt there was no need to focus on any other schools,” Wright told the Tribune, “because I knew where I wanted to go.”
The task of rebuilding the Utah program is a tough one for Krystkowiak and his staff, but to land a player like Wright is certainly a step in the right direction.
And some of the credit for the addition should go to Jarred DuBois.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)