Sep 21, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
“There are standards that each student-athlete is expected to uphold,” said Northwestern coach Bill Carmody in a statement. “JerShon has our complete support as he works to fulfill those expectations and we look forward to having him rejoin the program in a full capacity in the future.”
The press release also stated Cobb is still enrolled at Northwestern and will maintain two years of eligibility.
The Wildcats are still in search of the program’s first bid to the NCAA Tournament and it won’t get easier missing Cobb for the entire season.
The 6-foot-5 Cobb averaged 7.1 points per game for Northwestern in 21 games. Cobb would have had a bigger role in this year’s team, after losing John Shurna. Without Shurna and Cobb, the Wildcats still return three of the four leading scorers from a season ago – Drew Crawford (16.1), Dave Sobolewski (8.3), and Reggie Hearn (7.4).
Northwestern also adds Louisville-transfer, Jared Swoopshire, who will use his last year of eligibility this season.
The Wildcats were on the bubble last season, but had to settle for the NIT. Northwestern finished 19-14, before falling to Washington in the second round of the NIT.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)