Sep 21, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
“There are standards that each student-athlete is expected to uphold,” said Northwestern coach Bill Carmody in a statement. “JerShon has our complete support as he works to fulfill those expectations and we look forward to having him rejoin the program in a full capacity in the future.”
The press release also stated Cobb is still enrolled at Northwestern and will maintain two years of eligibility.
The Wildcats are still in search of the program’s first bid to the NCAA Tournament and it won’t get easier missing Cobb for the entire season.
The 6-foot-5 Cobb averaged 7.1 points per game for Northwestern in 21 games. Cobb would have had a bigger role in this year’s team, after losing John Shurna. Without Shurna and Cobb, the Wildcats still return three of the four leading scorers from a season ago – Drew Crawford (16.1), Dave Sobolewski (8.3), and Reggie Hearn (7.4).
Northwestern also adds Louisville-transfer, Jared Swoopshire, who will use his last year of eligibility this season.
The Wildcats were on the bubble last season, but had to settle for the NIT. Northwestern finished 19-14, before falling to Washington in the second round of the NIT.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)