Sep 22, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
Temple guard Khalif Wyatt has been fined $1,000 and sentenced to community service in connection with a June arrest in Atlantic City, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting.
Wyatt was arrested as part of prostitution sting while he was in New Jersey celebrating his 21st birthday. He reportedly solicited an undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, then tried to flee the scene before officers arrested him.
“Khalif Wyatt has expressed remorse for his actions and has apologized for the embarrassment that has come to his family, team, and university,” Dunphy said in a statement. “We have taken appropriate action with Khalif and believe the matter is now behind us.”
Wyatt averaged 17.1 points and 3.2 assists per game last season for the Owls. Shortly after his arrest he released a statement, apologizing for the incident.
“I apologize to my family, teammates, coaches and Temple University for the embarrassment that I have caused,” he said. “I…exercised very poor judgment by allowing myself and my friends to be put in a compromising situation. I intend to cooperate with the authorities during their investigation and the legal process.”
Temple will need him on the floor in 2012-13, having lost leading scorer Ramone Moore and point guard Juan Fernandez to graduation.
For Dunphy and Temple, the Owls will begin their final season in the Atlantic 10 this fall, set to move to the Big East for the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2