Sep 22, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
Temple guard Khalif Wyatt has been fined $1,000 and sentenced to community service in connection with a June arrest in Atlantic City, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting.
Wyatt was arrested as part of prostitution sting while he was in New Jersey celebrating his 21st birthday. He reportedly solicited an undercover police officer who was posing as a prostitute, then tried to flee the scene before officers arrested him.
“Khalif Wyatt has expressed remorse for his actions and has apologized for the embarrassment that has come to his family, team, and university,” Dunphy said in a statement. “We have taken appropriate action with Khalif and believe the matter is now behind us.”
Wyatt averaged 17.1 points and 3.2 assists per game last season for the Owls. Shortly after his arrest he released a statement, apologizing for the incident.
“I apologize to my family, teammates, coaches and Temple University for the embarrassment that I have caused,” he said. “I…exercised very poor judgment by allowing myself and my friends to be put in a compromising situation. I intend to cooperate with the authorities during their investigation and the legal process.”
Temple will need him on the floor in 2012-13, having lost leading scorer Ramone Moore and point guard Juan Fernandez to graduation.
For Dunphy and Temple, the Owls will begin their final season in the Atlantic 10 this fall, set to move to the Big East for the start of the 2013-14 season.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)