Sep 22, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Camping out for tickets to big matchups is nothing new. We’ve seen Krzyzewskiville and similar tent cities crop up for league games and big non-conference matchups across the nation.
So far, fans in Lexington are the first I’ve heard of lining up to get tickets to a Midnight Madness event.
According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, thousands of Kentucky fans lined up outside venerable Memorial Coliseum Friday night and this morning, and snatched up a full allotment of tickets to the event in well under an hour.
John Calipari showed up to greet the crowd, and offered a few remarks. Since he had a number of the campus’ weekend basketball warriors on hand in a captive audience, he took a moment to try and find out who nearly wrecked the franchise by knocking down freshman Nerlens Noel during a pickup game.
The paper published a transcript of his remarks, including Coach Cal’s impromptu Columbo routine.
I’ll tell you this. Who was the one that pushed Nerlens in the back? Who did that? I refuse to watch the tape. Somebody said, ‘Did you see the tape?’ I said, ‘No, I’m not watching that video.’ I’m in Minnesota and I’ll be throwing up watching a videotape of you guys pushing my players.
Wondering if he was serious or lighthearted about it? Watch the video:
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)