Sep 22, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Camping out for tickets to big matchups is nothing new. We’ve seen Krzyzewskiville and similar tent cities crop up for league games and big non-conference matchups across the nation.
So far, fans in Lexington are the first I’ve heard of lining up to get tickets to a Midnight Madness event.
According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, thousands of Kentucky fans lined up outside venerable Memorial Coliseum Friday night and this morning, and snatched up a full allotment of tickets to the event in well under an hour.
John Calipari showed up to greet the crowd, and offered a few remarks. Since he had a number of the campus’ weekend basketball warriors on hand in a captive audience, he took a moment to try and find out who nearly wrecked the franchise by knocking down freshman Nerlens Noel during a pickup game.
The paper published a transcript of his remarks, including Coach Cal’s impromptu Columbo routine.
I’ll tell you this. Who was the one that pushed Nerlens in the back? Who did that? I refuse to watch the tape. Somebody said, ‘Did you see the tape?’ I said, ‘No, I’m not watching that video.’ I’m in Minnesota and I’ll be throwing up watching a videotape of you guys pushing my players.
Wondering if he was serious or lighthearted about it? Watch the video:
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 0
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 2
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Duke Blue Devils 1
- The ten biggest surprises in college basketball in 2014-2015 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: UConn Huskies 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)
- One suitor for Duke transfer hopes to land him despite not having an available scholarship (3)