Sep 22, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Camping out for tickets to big matchups is nothing new. We’ve seen Krzyzewskiville and similar tent cities crop up for league games and big non-conference matchups across the nation.
So far, fans in Lexington are the first I’ve heard of lining up to get tickets to a Midnight Madness event.
According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, thousands of Kentucky fans lined up outside venerable Memorial Coliseum Friday night and this morning, and snatched up a full allotment of tickets to the event in well under an hour.
John Calipari showed up to greet the crowd, and offered a few remarks. Since he had a number of the campus’ weekend basketball warriors on hand in a captive audience, he took a moment to try and find out who nearly wrecked the franchise by knocking down freshman Nerlens Noel during a pickup game.
The paper published a transcript of his remarks, including Coach Cal’s impromptu Columbo routine.
I’ll tell you this. Who was the one that pushed Nerlens in the back? Who did that? I refuse to watch the tape. Somebody said, ‘Did you see the tape?’ I said, ‘No, I’m not watching that video.’ I’m in Minnesota and I’ll be throwing up watching a videotape of you guys pushing my players.
Wondering if he was serious or lighthearted about it? Watch the video:
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)