Sep 23, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
Oregon picked up two significant commitments on Sunday, as twins Tyree and Tyrell Robinson (both 6-4, with Tyree being a 2-guard and Tyrell a small forward) verbally committed to the Pac-12 school (subscription required) on Sunday afternoon.
But this isn’t simply a one-sport deal either, as the two stellar athletes from San Diego will play both football and basketball for the Ducks.
The twins took their official visit to Oregon this weekend, and that was all they needed to seal the deal.
The twins helped lead Lincoln High School to the finals of the CIF San Diego Division II tournament, where they fell to La Costa Canyon 58-54 in overtime.
Both were also members of the Oakland Soldiers AAU program, which won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
Tyrell played in the event, averaging 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in eight contests, while Tyree sat out due to an injury.
Tyree played in 14 of the Soldiers’ 20 games leading up to the Peach Jam, averaging 10.7 points per contest and shooting 48% from beyond the arc.
Tyrell didn’t shoot as well from the perimeter as his brother, but both are excellent athletes that will add a dimension to Dana Altman’s program on the perimeter (and it isn’t as if they lack for bodies on the outside either).
Oregon has four seniors on this season’s roster if you count Rice transfer Arsalan Kazemi, with wings Carlos Emory and E.J. Singler and center Tony Woods (that number drops to three if Kazemi has to sit out this season).
With freshman forward Arik Armstead also playing both sports, Oregon will have three two-sport athletes on their 2013-14 roster.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)