Sep 23, 2012, 8:39 PM EST
Oregon picked up two significant commitments on Sunday, as twins Tyree and Tyrell Robinson (both 6-4, with Tyree being a 2-guard and Tyrell a small forward) verbally committed to the Pac-12 school (subscription required) on Sunday afternoon.
But this isn’t simply a one-sport deal either, as the two stellar athletes from San Diego will play both football and basketball for the Ducks.
The twins took their official visit to Oregon this weekend, and that was all they needed to seal the deal.
The twins helped lead Lincoln High School to the finals of the CIF San Diego Division II tournament, where they fell to La Costa Canyon 58-54 in overtime.
Both were also members of the Oakland Soldiers AAU program, which won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
Tyrell played in the event, averaging 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in eight contests, while Tyree sat out due to an injury.
Tyree played in 14 of the Soldiers’ 20 games leading up to the Peach Jam, averaging 10.7 points per contest and shooting 48% from beyond the arc.
Tyrell didn’t shoot as well from the perimeter as his brother, but both are excellent athletes that will add a dimension to Dana Altman’s program on the perimeter (and it isn’t as if they lack for bodies on the outside either).
Oregon has four seniors on this season’s roster if you count Rice transfer Arsalan Kazemi, with wings Carlos Emory and E.J. Singler and center Tony Woods (that number drops to three if Kazemi has to sit out this season).
With freshman forward Arik Armstead also playing both sports, Oregon will have three two-sport athletes on their 2013-14 roster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)