Sep 23, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
Oregon picked up two significant commitments on Sunday, as twins Tyree and Tyrell Robinson (both 6-4, with Tyree being a 2-guard and Tyrell a small forward) verbally committed to the Pac-12 school (subscription required) on Sunday afternoon.
But this isn’t simply a one-sport deal either, as the two stellar athletes from San Diego will play both football and basketball for the Ducks.
The twins took their official visit to Oregon this weekend, and that was all they needed to seal the deal.
The twins helped lead Lincoln High School to the finals of the CIF San Diego Division II tournament, where they fell to La Costa Canyon 58-54 in overtime.
Both were also members of the Oakland Soldiers AAU program, which won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in July.
Tyrell played in the event, averaging 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in eight contests, while Tyree sat out due to an injury.
Tyree played in 14 of the Soldiers’ 20 games leading up to the Peach Jam, averaging 10.7 points per contest and shooting 48% from beyond the arc.
Tyrell didn’t shoot as well from the perimeter as his brother, but both are excellent athletes that will add a dimension to Dana Altman’s program on the perimeter (and it isn’t as if they lack for bodies on the outside either).
Oregon has four seniors on this season’s roster if you count Rice transfer Arsalan Kazemi, with wings Carlos Emory and E.J. Singler and center Tony Woods (that number drops to three if Kazemi has to sit out this season).
With freshman forward Arik Armstead also playing both sports, Oregon will have three two-sport athletes on their 2013-14 roster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)