Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Top-100 prospect Kyle Washington of Brewster Academy (N.H.) has committed to NC State, his coach at Brewster, Jason Smith, tweeted Sunday morning.
Washington, a 6-9 forward, had reportedly been visiting the NC State campus over the weekend, where he made his commitment.
Before committing to the Wolfpack, Washington was also considering offers from the University of Washington, Iowa State, Ohio State, Louisville, and Marquette.
For NC State coach Mark Gottfried, he has in Washington another athletic forward that fits well into his up-tempo system that ranked 51st in the nation in scoring last season.
Gottfried, who was approved for a contract extension and pay raise this week by the NC State Board of Trustees, snags his second major commitment from the 2013 class, along with Virginia native Anthony “Cat” Barber.
Barber, a lightning quick point guard, also thrives in a fastbreak offense, meaning he and Washington can be paired nicely into Gottfried’s system.
Washington and Barber in 2013 follow a stellar 2012 class for Gottfried and the Wolfpack, who secured three McDonald’s All-Americans who will take the floor this fall: Tyler Lewis, TJ Warren, and Rodney Purvis.
The NCAA clearinghouse recently gave Purvis the green light to play this season, following a review of his academic eligibility.
For the 2012-13 season, NC State returns forward CJ Leslie and guard Lorenzo Brown, both of whom will be paired with the three All-American freshmen on a team that should compete for an ACC title.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)