Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Top-100 prospect Kyle Washington of Brewster Academy (N.H.) has committed to NC State, his coach at Brewster, Jason Smith, tweeted Sunday morning.
Washington, a 6-9 forward, had reportedly been visiting the NC State campus over the weekend, where he made his commitment.
Before committing to the Wolfpack, Washington was also considering offers from the University of Washington, Iowa State, Ohio State, Louisville, and Marquette.
For NC State coach Mark Gottfried, he has in Washington another athletic forward that fits well into his up-tempo system that ranked 51st in the nation in scoring last season.
Gottfried, who was approved for a contract extension and pay raise this week by the NC State Board of Trustees, snags his second major commitment from the 2013 class, along with Virginia native Anthony “Cat” Barber.
Barber, a lightning quick point guard, also thrives in a fastbreak offense, meaning he and Washington can be paired nicely into Gottfried’s system.
Washington and Barber in 2013 follow a stellar 2012 class for Gottfried and the Wolfpack, who secured three McDonald’s All-Americans who will take the floor this fall: Tyler Lewis, TJ Warren, and Rodney Purvis.
The NCAA clearinghouse recently gave Purvis the green light to play this season, following a review of his academic eligibility.
For the 2012-13 season, NC State returns forward CJ Leslie and guard Lorenzo Brown, both of whom will be paired with the three All-American freshmen on a team that should compete for an ACC title.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)