Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
Top-100 prospect Kyle Washington of Brewster Academy (N.H.) has committed to NC State, his coach at Brewster, Jason Smith, tweeted Sunday morning.
Washington, a 6-9 forward, had reportedly been visiting the NC State campus over the weekend, where he made his commitment.
Before committing to the Wolfpack, Washington was also considering offers from the University of Washington, Iowa State, Ohio State, Louisville, and Marquette.
For NC State coach Mark Gottfried, he has in Washington another athletic forward that fits well into his up-tempo system that ranked 51st in the nation in scoring last season.
Gottfried, who was approved for a contract extension and pay raise this week by the NC State Board of Trustees, snags his second major commitment from the 2013 class, along with Virginia native Anthony “Cat” Barber.
Barber, a lightning quick point guard, also thrives in a fastbreak offense, meaning he and Washington can be paired nicely into Gottfried’s system.
Washington and Barber in 2013 follow a stellar 2012 class for Gottfried and the Wolfpack, who secured three McDonald’s All-Americans who will take the floor this fall: Tyler Lewis, TJ Warren, and Rodney Purvis.
The NCAA clearinghouse recently gave Purvis the green light to play this season, following a review of his academic eligibility.
For the 2012-13 season, NC State returns forward CJ Leslie and guard Lorenzo Brown, both of whom will be paired with the three All-American freshmen on a team that should compete for an ACC title.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)