Sep 24, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
After being ruled ineligible by the NCAA to play at Maryland this year, Sam Cassell, Jr. has signed to play with Chipola Junior College, according to Brad Winton of jucorecruiting.com
Cassell, Jr. is one of a number of players caught up in an academic controversy involving classes he took while playing at Notre Dame (Mass.) Prep. Certain players were still cleared to play, but two, Cassell, Jr. and Xavier signee Myles Davis, were deemed partial qualifiers and ineligible for play for the 2012-13 season.
It’s a tough situation for Cassell, Jr., the son of the former NBA star with the same name (in the photo), and another blatant display of selective enforcement by the NCAA. That is, unless they can give a legitimate reason for allowing some of those Notre Dame Prep players named to survive the NCAA Clearinghouse, despite taking the same prep school classes they deemed unsatisfactory by the NCAA’s standards.
However, Cassell, Jr. doesn’t have to look very far for advice about where to go from here.
He knows a guy who was a Prop 48 recruit out of Maine Central Institute who originally signed with DePaul. That guy went on to spend two seasons at San Jacinto (Texas) Junior College before becoming an All-ACC selection at Florida State.
That’d be his dad, Sam Cassell, Sr.
If you have to go this route, I can’t imagine a better way to do it than with a father who’s done it before.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)