Sep 24, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
After being ruled ineligible by the NCAA to play at Maryland this year, Sam Cassell, Jr. has signed to play with Chipola Junior College, according to Brad Winton of jucorecruiting.com
Cassell, Jr. is one of a number of players caught up in an academic controversy involving classes he took while playing at Notre Dame (Mass.) Prep. Certain players were still cleared to play, but two, Cassell, Jr. and Xavier signee Myles Davis, were deemed partial qualifiers and ineligible for play for the 2012-13 season.
It’s a tough situation for Cassell, Jr., the son of the former NBA star with the same name (in the photo), and another blatant display of selective enforcement by the NCAA. That is, unless they can give a legitimate reason for allowing some of those Notre Dame Prep players named to survive the NCAA Clearinghouse, despite taking the same prep school classes they deemed unsatisfactory by the NCAA’s standards.
However, Cassell, Jr. doesn’t have to look very far for advice about where to go from here.
He knows a guy who was a Prop 48 recruit out of Maine Central Institute who originally signed with DePaul. That guy went on to spend two seasons at San Jacinto (Texas) Junior College before becoming an All-ACC selection at Florida State.
That’d be his dad, Sam Cassell, Sr.
If you have to go this route, I can’t imagine a better way to do it than with a father who’s done it before.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)