Sep 24, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
After being ruled ineligible by the NCAA to play at Maryland this year, Sam Cassell, Jr. has signed to play with Chipola Junior College, according to Brad Winton of jucorecruiting.com
Cassell, Jr. is one of a number of players caught up in an academic controversy involving classes he took while playing at Notre Dame (Mass.) Prep. Certain players were still cleared to play, but two, Cassell, Jr. and Xavier signee Myles Davis, were deemed partial qualifiers and ineligible for play for the 2012-13 season.
It’s a tough situation for Cassell, Jr., the son of the former NBA star with the same name (in the photo), and another blatant display of selective enforcement by the NCAA. That is, unless they can give a legitimate reason for allowing some of those Notre Dame Prep players named to survive the NCAA Clearinghouse, despite taking the same prep school classes they deemed unsatisfactory by the NCAA’s standards.
However, Cassell, Jr. doesn’t have to look very far for advice about where to go from here.
He knows a guy who was a Prop 48 recruit out of Maine Central Institute who originally signed with DePaul. That guy went on to spend two seasons at San Jacinto (Texas) Junior College before becoming an All-ACC selection at Florida State.
That’d be his dad, Sam Cassell, Sr.
If you have to go this route, I can’t imagine a better way to do it than with a father who’s done it before.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)