Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Noah Vonleh, a top 10 recruit in the Class of 2014, will be entering college a bit sooner than anticipated. Dave Telep of ESPN.com got the scoop.
The move isn’t necessarily a surprise given Vonleh’s age and physical maturity — he’s ready to play college basketball — but, according to Telep, it will throw a wrench into the plans of the schools that are recruiting him. Vonleh is a top ten talent, but he’s not Andrew Wiggins. He hasn’t had the entire country speculating on his status as a member of the Class of 2014.
Where Vonleh’s decision gets interesting is when you look at who else is still available in the Class of 2013. Vonleh’s big, strong and athletic with a penchant for getting to the glass, but where his strength as a prospect lies is in his ball skills. He can go coast-to-coast if he gets a defensive rebound. He can beat his man off the dribble when he faces up on the perimeter. He can knock down a three-ball just as easily as he can finish a tip-dunk over a defender if they don’t box him out.
He’s a face-up four in a class that doesn’t have a ton of face-up fours readily available.
Vonleh, who is an excellent student as well, already has a who’s-who of schools hot on his trail. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)