Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
Noah Vonleh, a top 10 recruit in the Class of 2014, will be entering college a bit sooner than anticipated. Dave Telep of ESPN.com got the scoop.
The move isn’t necessarily a surprise given Vonleh’s age and physical maturity — he’s ready to play college basketball — but, according to Telep, it will throw a wrench into the plans of the schools that are recruiting him. Vonleh is a top ten talent, but he’s not Andrew Wiggins. He hasn’t had the entire country speculating on his status as a member of the Class of 2014.
Where Vonleh’s decision gets interesting is when you look at who else is still available in the Class of 2013. Vonleh’s big, strong and athletic with a penchant for getting to the glass, but where his strength as a prospect lies is in his ball skills. He can go coast-to-coast if he gets a defensive rebound. He can beat his man off the dribble when he faces up on the perimeter. He can knock down a three-ball just as easily as he can finish a tip-dunk over a defender if they don’t box him out.
He’s a face-up four in a class that doesn’t have a ton of face-up fours readily available.
Vonleh, who is an excellent student as well, already has a who’s-who of schools hot on his trail. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)