Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Noah Vonleh, a top 10 recruit in the Class of 2014, will be entering college a bit sooner than anticipated. Dave Telep of ESPN.com got the scoop.
The move isn’t necessarily a surprise given Vonleh’s age and physical maturity — he’s ready to play college basketball — but, according to Telep, it will throw a wrench into the plans of the schools that are recruiting him. Vonleh is a top ten talent, but he’s not Andrew Wiggins. He hasn’t had the entire country speculating on his status as a member of the Class of 2014.
Where Vonleh’s decision gets interesting is when you look at who else is still available in the Class of 2013. Vonleh’s big, strong and athletic with a penchant for getting to the glass, but where his strength as a prospect lies is in his ball skills. He can go coast-to-coast if he gets a defensive rebound. He can beat his man off the dribble when he faces up on the perimeter. He can knock down a three-ball just as easily as he can finish a tip-dunk over a defender if they don’t box him out.
He’s a face-up four in a class that doesn’t have a ton of face-up fours readily available.
Vonleh, who is an excellent student as well, already has a who’s-who of schools hot on his trail. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)