Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
Noah Vonleh, a top 10 recruit in the Class of 2014, will be entering college a bit sooner than anticipated. Dave Telep of ESPN.com got the scoop.
The move isn’t necessarily a surprise given Vonleh’s age and physical maturity — he’s ready to play college basketball — but, according to Telep, it will throw a wrench into the plans of the schools that are recruiting him. Vonleh is a top ten talent, but he’s not Andrew Wiggins. He hasn’t had the entire country speculating on his status as a member of the Class of 2014.
Where Vonleh’s decision gets interesting is when you look at who else is still available in the Class of 2013. Vonleh’s big, strong and athletic with a penchant for getting to the glass, but where his strength as a prospect lies is in his ball skills. He can go coast-to-coast if he gets a defensive rebound. He can beat his man off the dribble when he faces up on the perimeter. He can knock down a three-ball just as easily as he can finish a tip-dunk over a defender if they don’t box him out.
He’s a face-up four in a class that doesn’t have a ton of face-up fours readily available.
Vonleh, who is an excellent student as well, already has a who’s-who of schools hot on his trail. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)