Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Noah Vonleh, a top 10 recruit in the Class of 2014, will be entering college a bit sooner than anticipated. Dave Telep of ESPN.com got the scoop.
The move isn’t necessarily a surprise given Vonleh’s age and physical maturity — he’s ready to play college basketball — but, according to Telep, it will throw a wrench into the plans of the schools that are recruiting him. Vonleh is a top ten talent, but he’s not Andrew Wiggins. He hasn’t had the entire country speculating on his status as a member of the Class of 2014.
Where Vonleh’s decision gets interesting is when you look at who else is still available in the Class of 2013. Vonleh’s big, strong and athletic with a penchant for getting to the glass, but where his strength as a prospect lies is in his ball skills. He can go coast-to-coast if he gets a defensive rebound. He can beat his man off the dribble when he faces up on the perimeter. He can knock down a three-ball just as easily as he can finish a tip-dunk over a defender if they don’t box him out.
He’s a face-up four in a class that doesn’t have a ton of face-up fours readily available.
Vonleh, who is an excellent student as well, already has a who’s-who of schools hot on his trail. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)