Sep 24, 2012, 7:58 PM EDT
Washington State is now in the market for a starting point guard.
The program sent out a release Monday evening announcing that would-be starter Reggie Moore has been dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules.
“Reggie has been an important part of the basketball program for the last three years and I wish him the very best in the future,” Cougars coach Ken Bone said in a statement.
That’s the extent of the release, but this isn’t Moore’s first brush with trouble while in a Wazzu uniform. Moore was suspended from the team in January of 2011 following an arrest on two marijuana charges.
The senior guard from Seattle averaged 10.2 points and a team-leading 5.2 assists per game for the Cougars, who return leading scorer Brock Motum — who led the team at 18 ppg in 2011-12 — and DaVonte Lacy, who averaged 8.5 points and 2.3 rebounds last season.
For now, Bone’s squad may have to rely on Lacy, a 6-3 sophomore, for ball distribution, who is now Washington State’s leader in assists with 69 last season. If not that, the next bests option looks to be a point-guard-by-committee situation.
A huge blow to a team that had some decent expectations after finishing second in the College Basketball Invitational — hey, that has to count for something right? — last season with a 19-18 record.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)