Sep 25, 2012, 11:16 AM EST
It’s clear now that the Big East will survive a mass exodus of teams to the ACC and, according to a report by Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com, will not lose its unofficial home of almost 30 years: Madison Square Garden.
The bidding window to host the 2016-21 ACC tournaments has closed and Madison Square Garden did not enter a bid, according to the report, meaning speculation that the ACC would invade The Garden can be put to rest.
MSG seemed like a good fit for the ACC, were it to have made the move, especially considering it is soon to be armed with Syracuse, a team that packs The Garden every time it visits.
Another possible New York alternative also did not submit a bid, according to ESPN—the brand new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, home of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets.
That means that a possibility brought up last year by ACC commissioner John Swofford will not come to be.
“I don’t think there’s any question that taking a look at New York and Madison Square Garden would be very appealing for Atlantic Coast Conference basketball fans,” Swofford said last year, as cited in the ESPN report.
“And even more so now with even more teams in closer proximity. With that being the media center of the world, so to speak, we’d probably be remiss if we didn’t think of it in those terms.”
Along with Pittsburgh and Syracuse, who announced their intent to depart from the Big East last year, Notre Dame recently announced that it, too, would be headed to the ACC.
The site of the 2016-21 ACC tournaments is still yet to be determined.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)