Sep 25, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine is “no longer affiliated” with Israeli Maccabi Haifa, the team that hired him as a consultant in April, according to EuroBasket.com.
“Bernie Fine’s role was a consultant for the preseason,” Haifa told the website. “He is not currently with the club, but we are discussing future roles with the team down the road.”
Fine was an assistant at Syracuse for 36 years before being fired in November amid allegations of sexual molestation, but was never charged.
The claims of misconduct fall outside of the statute of limitations, meaning that Fine cannot be prosecuted for allegations made by 41-year-old Bobby Davis and his step brother, Michael Lang.
In recent months, attorney Gloria Allred, representing Davis and Lang, brought the issue back to the forefront by alleging that Syracuse may have been in violation of the Clery Act, which “requires colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to disclose information about crime on campus.”
That news surfaced in July.
For Fine, primary job with Maccabi Haifa was to evaluate talent and help in the team’s search for a coach, which ultimately led to the hiring of former Radford head coach Brad Greenberg. Fine was based in the United States during his time with the team.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)