Sep 25, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
Frank Martin has landed the first commitment in his 2013 recruiting class at South Carolina.
Desmond Ringer is a 6-foot-9, 260 lb center from Georgia. He tweeted out his commitment on Tuesday afternoon:
I will be attending the University of South Carolina. #gamecocknation
— Desmond Ringer (@D_Ringer32) September 25, 2012
Ringer is a solid prospect, but he’s not exactly the kind of big man that Martin had success with at Kansas State. With the Wildcats, Martin’s best bigs were lankier and more athletic — Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels and Jordan Henriquez. Ringer is more of a big-bodied banger.
Ringer’s final choices came down to South Carolina and Mercer. He may be a good player down the road — especially when you consider the fact that he tore his ACL in January of 2011 — but this is not the kind of commitment that is going to make South Carolina an immediate contender in the SEC.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)