Sep 25, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Frank Martin has landed the first commitment in his 2013 recruiting class at South Carolina.
Desmond Ringer is a 6-foot-9, 260 lb center from Georgia. He tweeted out his commitment on Tuesday afternoon:
I will be attending the University of South Carolina. #gamecocknation
— Desmond Ringer (@D_Ringer32) September 25, 2012
Ringer is a solid prospect, but he’s not exactly the kind of big man that Martin had success with at Kansas State. With the Wildcats, Martin’s best bigs were lankier and more athletic — Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels and Jordan Henriquez. Ringer is more of a big-bodied banger.
Ringer’s final choices came down to South Carolina and Mercer. He may be a good player down the road — especially when you consider the fact that he tore his ACL in January of 2011 — but this is not the kind of commitment that is going to make South Carolina an immediate contender in the SEC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)