Sep 25, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Frank Martin has landed the first commitment in his 2013 recruiting class at South Carolina.
Desmond Ringer is a 6-foot-9, 260 lb center from Georgia. He tweeted out his commitment on Tuesday afternoon:
I will be attending the University of South Carolina. #gamecocknation
— Desmond Ringer (@D_Ringer32) September 25, 2012
Ringer is a solid prospect, but he’s not exactly the kind of big man that Martin had success with at Kansas State. With the Wildcats, Martin’s best bigs were lankier and more athletic — Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels and Jordan Henriquez. Ringer is more of a big-bodied banger.
Ringer’s final choices came down to South Carolina and Mercer. He may be a good player down the road — especially when you consider the fact that he tore his ACL in January of 2011 — but this is not the kind of commitment that is going to make South Carolina an immediate contender in the SEC.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)