Sep 25, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Frank Martin has landed the first commitment in his 2013 recruiting class at South Carolina.
Desmond Ringer is a 6-foot-9, 260 lb center from Georgia. He tweeted out his commitment on Tuesday afternoon:
I will be attending the University of South Carolina. #gamecocknation
— Desmond Ringer (@D_Ringer32) September 25, 2012
Ringer is a solid prospect, but he’s not exactly the kind of big man that Martin had success with at Kansas State. With the Wildcats, Martin’s best bigs were lankier and more athletic — Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels and Jordan Henriquez. Ringer is more of a big-bodied banger.
Ringer’s final choices came down to South Carolina and Mercer. He may be a good player down the road — especially when you consider the fact that he tore his ACL in January of 2011 — but this is not the kind of commitment that is going to make South Carolina an immediate contender in the SEC.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner