Sep 25, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Frank Martin has landed the first commitment in his 2013 recruiting class at South Carolina.
Desmond Ringer is a 6-foot-9, 260 lb center from Georgia. He tweeted out his commitment on Tuesday afternoon:
I will be attending the University of South Carolina. #gamecocknation
— Desmond Ringer (@D_Ringer32) September 25, 2012
Ringer is a solid prospect, but he’s not exactly the kind of big man that Martin had success with at Kansas State. With the Wildcats, Martin’s best bigs were lankier and more athletic — Curtis Kelly and Jamar Samuels and Jordan Henriquez. Ringer is more of a big-bodied banger.
Ringer’s final choices came down to South Carolina and Mercer. He may be a good player down the road — especially when you consider the fact that he tore his ACL in January of 2011 — but this is not the kind of commitment that is going to make South Carolina an immediate contender in the SEC.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 4
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)