Sep 25, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
For the first time in what seems like a decade, there is some good news involving the University of North Carolina: the tumor taken off of head coach Roy Williams’ left kidney is benign.
“We are pleased with how well Coach Williams is doing. If everything continues to progress as expected, he should be back to his normal activities soon,” says Dr. Eric Wallen, professor of urology at UNC that led the surgical, said in a statement. Williams also has a tumor on his right kidney, but if that also turns out to be oncoctytoma, he won’t have further surgery.
“Number one, I want to express how overwhelmed I have been by the outpouring of support, concern and good wishes by everyone, especially members of the Carolina Basketball family,” Williams said in a statement. “I’ve just been blown away by the calls, cards, prayers and well-wishes from people all around the world in and out of the basketball community. My family and I are thankful to all that have expressed your concerns.”
“I also want to thank the entire medical team and staff at UNC Health Care. The treatment and care were exceptional. My family and I also deeply appreciate the support shown to us. As someone who spends every day stressing the value and importance of a team, I can confidently say that UNC Health Care has an extraordinary team. I can’t thank them enough. There is still work to be done, but we will continue to deal with that over the next few weeks and get through it with the help of first-rate medical care and the continued support of my family and our extended family and friends through Carolina Basketball.”
Williams is expected back on the court when practices begin in a couple of weeks.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)