Sep 25, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
I’ll admit it: I have an unhealthy obsession with the youtube mixtapes.
So when I get bored (or when I’m struggling for things to write about) I like to browse through some of those mixtapes. Just because.
I was doing just that on Tuesday afternoon when I stumbled upon one from BallisLife entitled “6’7″ Mickey Mitchell Has a SICK GAME! Best Player In Class of 2015!?” I recognized the name because one of the most respected college basketball writers in the country got incredibly excited about him the first time he saw him play.
So I watched the video.
Someone that size with that athleticism and that handle and vision that’s a sophomore in high school? Yeah, he’s a name that you’ll be hearing quite a bit over the next three years. And while mixtapes are an awful way to scout a player, I think I can safely say that Mitchell is going to eventually be one of the more entertaining players to watch.
But there’s more to Mitchell’s story than just being a basketball player. He’s also a high school quarterback in Texas, and of the 22 scholarship offers he had as of the writing of this story back in August, half were offering a spot on both the football and basketball teams.
“The other day I was walking through the house and [Prestonwood Christian Academy senior linebacker Mike] was Skyping with (Ohio State football head coach) Urban Meyer,” Mr. Mitchell said.
That is what happens when you have nine children, all of whom have names that start with M, that have combined for nine varsity state championships, 51 youth, state or national AAU titles and 1,200 trophies.
One might think the kids are striving to live up to the accomplishments of their father, a former Atlanta Falcons linebacker. Instead, they are trying to outdo him.
“Not that long ago the boys were being interviewed and they said they were trying to make up for the fact that I wasn’t any good in the NFL,” Mr. Mitchell said with a chuckle. “I think they are right.”
Leading the Mitchell’s current athletic charge are Mike and Mickey.
The former is a 6-foot-4, 216-pound four-star linebacker that is ranked as one of the top 50 recruits in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com and the latter is a 6-foot-8, 205-pound sophomore guard at Prestonwood that is a consensus top five recruit for the Class of 2015.
I bet Mickey’s pretty popular at his high school.
(Photo credit: Texas Titans)
- 2014 Big Ten Tournament Preview: Can Michigan State turn things around? 0
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)