Sep 25, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Kuran Iverson, an athletically gifted Top-30 forward, has committed to coach Josh Pastner and the Memphis Tigers, Reggie Rankin of ESPN.com is reporting.
The 6-8 Iverson chose Memphis over the Florida Gators.
The developmental ceiling for Iverson, with his size and length, is high, and in a system like Pastner’s at Memphis, he will have opportunities to thrive.
Pastner’s Tigers were 33rd in the nation in scoring last season, putting up over 75 points per game.
Iverson runs the floor well and should continue to do that at Memphis, able to rise up with ease and play above the rim.
With this commitment, it becomes clear that Pastner is stacking his deck for Memphis’ transition to the Big East, already having secured pledges from Nick King and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell, both Top-100 prospects, as well as Memphis native Markel Crawford.
The Tigers begin their final season in Conference USA this season before heading to the Big East, along with teams that include Central Florida, SMU, Temple, and Houston.
Memphis finished last season with an overall record of 26-9, including 13-3 in the C-USA. From the Class of 2012, Memphis brings in key signee Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 3
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)