Sep 25, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Kuran Iverson, an athletically gifted Top-30 forward, has committed to coach Josh Pastner and the Memphis Tigers, Reggie Rankin of ESPN.com is reporting.
The 6-8 Iverson chose Memphis over the Florida Gators.
The developmental ceiling for Iverson, with his size and length, is high, and in a system like Pastner’s at Memphis, he will have opportunities to thrive.
Pastner’s Tigers were 33rd in the nation in scoring last season, putting up over 75 points per game.
Iverson runs the floor well and should continue to do that at Memphis, able to rise up with ease and play above the rim.
With this commitment, it becomes clear that Pastner is stacking his deck for Memphis’ transition to the Big East, already having secured pledges from Nick King and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell, both Top-100 prospects, as well as Memphis native Markel Crawford.
The Tigers begin their final season in Conference USA this season before heading to the Big East, along with teams that include Central Florida, SMU, Temple, and Houston.
Memphis finished last season with an overall record of 26-9, including 13-3 in the C-USA. From the Class of 2012, Memphis brings in key signee Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)