Sep 25, 2012, 9:38 AM EST
Kuran Iverson, an athletically gifted Top-30 forward, has committed to coach Josh Pastner and the Memphis Tigers, Reggie Rankin of ESPN.com is reporting.
The 6-8 Iverson chose Memphis over the Florida Gators.
The developmental ceiling for Iverson, with his size and length, is high, and in a system like Pastner’s at Memphis, he will have opportunities to thrive.
Pastner’s Tigers were 33rd in the nation in scoring last season, putting up over 75 points per game.
Iverson runs the floor well and should continue to do that at Memphis, able to rise up with ease and play above the rim.
With this commitment, it becomes clear that Pastner is stacking his deck for Memphis’ transition to the Big East, already having secured pledges from Nick King and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell, both Top-100 prospects, as well as Memphis native Markel Crawford.
The Tigers begin their final season in Conference USA this season before heading to the Big East, along with teams that include Central Florida, SMU, Temple, and Houston.
Memphis finished last season with an overall record of 26-9, including 13-3 in the C-USA. From the Class of 2012, Memphis brings in key signee Shaq Goodwin, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Decatur, Ga.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)