Sep 26, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Fordham has hired former Colgate athletic director David Roach to the same position with the Rams, the school announced Wednesday.
“In David Roach, we have found an athletic director with a demonstrated ability to inspire the best performances from his student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom,” Fordham’s president Joseph M. McShane, S.J. said in a statement. ‘
“David’s approach – giving equal weight to athletics and scholarship – makes him an ideal fit for Fordham. We are confident that our student-athletes will benefit greatly under his leadership.”
Roach has spent the last eight seasons at Colgate and, under his watch, the school was first in the NCAA with a graduation rate of 100%.
“I’m extremely excited about joining the Fordham University family,” Roach said in the release. “I cannot wait to get to campus and begin working with Father McShane, the University administration, campus community, outstanding coaches and athletic staff to accomplish great things for Fordham student-athletes.
“I have always admired Fordham’s educational mission and the role that intercollegiate athletics plays in accomplishing that mission. I’m honored and humbled to have been selected as Fordham’s Director of Athletics.”
As for the Fordham basketball program that he will be overseeing, the Rams finished last season with an overall record of 10-19, including 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Leading scorer and rebounder Chris Gaston returns to the team after averaging 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds per game in his junior season.
Fordham brings four players to the team from the Class of 2012, led by freshman Ryan Rhoomes, a New York native.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)