Sep 26, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Fordham has hired former Colgate athletic director David Roach to the same position with the Rams, the school announced Wednesday.
“In David Roach, we have found an athletic director with a demonstrated ability to inspire the best performances from his student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom,” Fordham’s president Joseph M. McShane, S.J. said in a statement. ‘
“David’s approach – giving equal weight to athletics and scholarship – makes him an ideal fit for Fordham. We are confident that our student-athletes will benefit greatly under his leadership.”
Roach has spent the last eight seasons at Colgate and, under his watch, the school was first in the NCAA with a graduation rate of 100%.
“I’m extremely excited about joining the Fordham University family,” Roach said in the release. “I cannot wait to get to campus and begin working with Father McShane, the University administration, campus community, outstanding coaches and athletic staff to accomplish great things for Fordham student-athletes.
“I have always admired Fordham’s educational mission and the role that intercollegiate athletics plays in accomplishing that mission. I’m honored and humbled to have been selected as Fordham’s Director of Athletics.”
As for the Fordham basketball program that he will be overseeing, the Rams finished last season with an overall record of 10-19, including 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Leading scorer and rebounder Chris Gaston returns to the team after averaging 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds per game in his junior season.
Fordham brings four players to the team from the Class of 2012, led by freshman Ryan Rhoomes, a New York native.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)