Sep 26, 2012, 3:33 PM EST
Fordham has hired former Colgate athletic director David Roach to the same position with the Rams, the school announced Wednesday.
“In David Roach, we have found an athletic director with a demonstrated ability to inspire the best performances from his student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom,” Fordham’s president Joseph M. McShane, S.J. said in a statement. ‘
“David’s approach – giving equal weight to athletics and scholarship – makes him an ideal fit for Fordham. We are confident that our student-athletes will benefit greatly under his leadership.”
Roach has spent the last eight seasons at Colgate and, under his watch, the school was first in the NCAA with a graduation rate of 100%.
“I’m extremely excited about joining the Fordham University family,” Roach said in the release. “I cannot wait to get to campus and begin working with Father McShane, the University administration, campus community, outstanding coaches and athletic staff to accomplish great things for Fordham student-athletes.
“I have always admired Fordham’s educational mission and the role that intercollegiate athletics plays in accomplishing that mission. I’m honored and humbled to have been selected as Fordham’s Director of Athletics.”
As for the Fordham basketball program that he will be overseeing, the Rams finished last season with an overall record of 10-19, including 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Leading scorer and rebounder Chris Gaston returns to the team after averaging 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds per game in his junior season.
Fordham brings four players to the team from the Class of 2012, led by freshman Ryan Rhoomes, a New York native.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)