Sep 26, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Fordham has hired former Colgate athletic director David Roach to the same position with the Rams, the school announced Wednesday.
“In David Roach, we have found an athletic director with a demonstrated ability to inspire the best performances from his student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom,” Fordham’s president Joseph M. McShane, S.J. said in a statement. ‘
“David’s approach – giving equal weight to athletics and scholarship – makes him an ideal fit for Fordham. We are confident that our student-athletes will benefit greatly under his leadership.”
Roach has spent the last eight seasons at Colgate and, under his watch, the school was first in the NCAA with a graduation rate of 100%.
“I’m extremely excited about joining the Fordham University family,” Roach said in the release. “I cannot wait to get to campus and begin working with Father McShane, the University administration, campus community, outstanding coaches and athletic staff to accomplish great things for Fordham student-athletes.
“I have always admired Fordham’s educational mission and the role that intercollegiate athletics plays in accomplishing that mission. I’m honored and humbled to have been selected as Fordham’s Director of Athletics.”
As for the Fordham basketball program that he will be overseeing, the Rams finished last season with an overall record of 10-19, including 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Leading scorer and rebounder Chris Gaston returns to the team after averaging 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds per game in his junior season.
Fordham brings four players to the team from the Class of 2012, led by freshman Ryan Rhoomes, a New York native.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights