Sep 26, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Fordham has hired former Colgate athletic director David Roach to the same position with the Rams, the school announced Wednesday.
“In David Roach, we have found an athletic director with a demonstrated ability to inspire the best performances from his student-athletes, both on the field and in the classroom,” Fordham’s president Joseph M. McShane, S.J. said in a statement. ‘
“David’s approach – giving equal weight to athletics and scholarship – makes him an ideal fit for Fordham. We are confident that our student-athletes will benefit greatly under his leadership.”
Roach has spent the last eight seasons at Colgate and, under his watch, the school was first in the NCAA with a graduation rate of 100%.
“I’m extremely excited about joining the Fordham University family,” Roach said in the release. “I cannot wait to get to campus and begin working with Father McShane, the University administration, campus community, outstanding coaches and athletic staff to accomplish great things for Fordham student-athletes.
“I have always admired Fordham’s educational mission and the role that intercollegiate athletics plays in accomplishing that mission. I’m honored and humbled to have been selected as Fordham’s Director of Athletics.”
As for the Fordham basketball program that he will be overseeing, the Rams finished last season with an overall record of 10-19, including 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Leading scorer and rebounder Chris Gaston returns to the team after averaging 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds per game in his junior season.
Fordham brings four players to the team from the Class of 2012, led by freshman Ryan Rhoomes, a New York native.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)