Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Former UCLA assistant and Bruins guard Gerald Madkins has accepted a position in the front office of the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers to become the Director of Basketball Operations, the team announced Monday.
Madkins played for the Bruins from 1987-92, averaging 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game over the course of his career. During his senior season, UCLA won the Pac-10 championship and advanced to the Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament.
He went on to play eight seasons of professional basketball, before turning to coaching in 2000 when he joined the staff at California State University Stanislaus.
He then moved on to UCLA as an assistant from 2001-03 under head coach Steve Lavin.
Since then, he has held different positions at the NBA level, most recently with the New Orleans Hornets as the Vice President of Player Personnel. This past season, he played a role in New Orleans selecting Kentucky standout Anthony Davis with the first pick in the NBA draft.
He has also spent time with the Seattle Supersonics, the Houston Rockets, and the New York Knicks.
Madkins was recently in preliminary discussions to replace assistant coach Mike Dunlap at St. John’s, being that he has already served under Lavin at UCLA. The Red Storm ultimately hired another one of Lavin’s former players, Darrick Martin.
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (8)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)