Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
Former UCLA assistant and Bruins guard Gerald Madkins has accepted a position in the front office of the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers to become the Director of Basketball Operations, the team announced Monday.
Madkins played for the Bruins from 1987-92, averaging 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game over the course of his career. During his senior season, UCLA won the Pac-10 championship and advanced to the Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament.
He went on to play eight seasons of professional basketball, before turning to coaching in 2000 when he joined the staff at California State University Stanislaus.
He then moved on to UCLA as an assistant from 2001-03 under head coach Steve Lavin.
Since then, he has held different positions at the NBA level, most recently with the New Orleans Hornets as the Vice President of Player Personnel. This past season, he played a role in New Orleans selecting Kentucky standout Anthony Davis with the first pick in the NBA draft.
He has also spent time with the Seattle Supersonics, the Houston Rockets, and the New York Knicks.
Madkins was recently in preliminary discussions to replace assistant coach Mike Dunlap at St. John’s, being that he has already served under Lavin at UCLA. The Red Storm ultimately hired another one of Lavin’s former players, Darrick Martin.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)