Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard is moving closer to engaging in full-speed practice with the Terrapins after tearing his ACL last season, the Washington Post is reporting.
Howard, who averaged 6.5 points for Maryland in 14 games last season, tore his ACL during practice in February and was forced out for the remainder of the season.
“He looks great,” head coach Mark Turgeon told the Post. “He really does. I anticipate him being in great shape and at full speed when practice starts.”
Howard is a California native who saw his minutes nearly double from his freshman season, and he will likely be leaned on for the same number of minutes this season.
“I’m sure if a doctor wasn’t around he’d go full speed,” Turgeon added, saying that Howard is also “pain-free, jumping and ready to go.”
Maryland will need his production in 2012-13, after leading scorer Terrell Stoglin left the team at the end of the season to turn pro. Had he stayed with Maryland, he would have been suspended for a season, a penalty levied by the school.
The Terrapins finished 17-15 last season, including 6-10 in the ACC. Turgeon has a solid recruiting class coming to College Park from the Class of 2012, led by big man Shaquille Cleare, a 6-9, 270-pound center.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)