Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard is moving closer to engaging in full-speed practice with the Terrapins after tearing his ACL last season, the Washington Post is reporting.
Howard, who averaged 6.5 points for Maryland in 14 games last season, tore his ACL during practice in February and was forced out for the remainder of the season.
“He looks great,” head coach Mark Turgeon told the Post. “He really does. I anticipate him being in great shape and at full speed when practice starts.”
Howard is a California native who saw his minutes nearly double from his freshman season, and he will likely be leaned on for the same number of minutes this season.
“I’m sure if a doctor wasn’t around he’d go full speed,” Turgeon added, saying that Howard is also “pain-free, jumping and ready to go.”
Maryland will need his production in 2012-13, after leading scorer Terrell Stoglin left the team at the end of the season to turn pro. Had he stayed with Maryland, he would have been suspended for a season, a penalty levied by the school.
The Terrapins finished 17-15 last season, including 6-10 in the ACC. Turgeon has a solid recruiting class coming to College Park from the Class of 2012, led by big man Shaquille Cleare, a 6-9, 270-pound center.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)