Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard is moving closer to engaging in full-speed practice with the Terrapins after tearing his ACL last season, the Washington Post is reporting.
Howard, who averaged 6.5 points for Maryland in 14 games last season, tore his ACL during practice in February and was forced out for the remainder of the season.
“He looks great,” head coach Mark Turgeon told the Post. “He really does. I anticipate him being in great shape and at full speed when practice starts.”
Howard is a California native who saw his minutes nearly double from his freshman season, and he will likely be leaned on for the same number of minutes this season.
“I’m sure if a doctor wasn’t around he’d go full speed,” Turgeon added, saying that Howard is also “pain-free, jumping and ready to go.”
Maryland will need his production in 2012-13, after leading scorer Terrell Stoglin left the team at the end of the season to turn pro. Had he stayed with Maryland, he would have been suspended for a season, a penalty levied by the school.
The Terrapins finished 17-15 last season, including 6-10 in the ACC. Turgeon has a solid recruiting class coming to College Park from the Class of 2012, led by big man Shaquille Cleare, a 6-9, 270-pound center.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)