Sep 27, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
Trustees of the University of Alabama system approved a pay raise men’s basketball head coach Anthony Grant on Thursday morning according to Don Kausler Jr. of al.com.
Grant was one of seven head coaches who had their contracts addressed by the trustees, who also approved a 5.4% salary raise for athletic director Mal Moore.
Grant, who led Alabama to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2006 last season, will receive a $100,000 raise and have his contract extended to the end of the 2019 season.
Also changing in Grant’s contract are the terms of his buyout clause, which now states that he would owe the school $1.25 million if he were to leave for another job before March 31, 2013.
The amount of money Grant would owe decreases by $250,000 in each of the next three years: $1 million in 2014, $750,000 in 2015 and $500,000 in 2016 (the cost remains at $500,000 for the final four years of the deal).
In three seasons at Alabama Grant has posted a record of 63-39 (27-21 SEC), and despite losing forward JaMychal Green the Crimson Tide should once again be in the running for an NCAA berth.
Alabama has experience on the perimeter led by junior Trevor Releford (12.0 ppg), sophomore Trevor Lacey (7.3 ppg) and redshirt senior Andrew Steele (6.6 ppg).
Whether or not Alabama can return to the NCAA tournament will likely rest on what their front court players can provide, with sophomore Nick Jacobs (6.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg) being their most productive returnee.
The addition of freshman forward Devonta Pollard should help matters inside, and Alabama will also need more from seven-footers Carl Engstrom and Moussa Gueye (averaged eight minutes apiece last year).
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)