Sep 27, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
One of the perks of conference realignment for conferences that add value to their membership is the ability to renegotiate their media rights deals.
The Big West, even though their full lineup won’t be set until next season, was able to reap those benefits as they announced a new long-term media rights deal with the Fox Sports Networks.
Prime Ticket, Fox Sports West and Fox Sports San Diego will televise at least 20 marquee events this season and the number will jump to 32 when San Diego State and Boise State join the conference next year.
Included in those events are all regular season men’s basketball games, four Big West men’s basketball tournament quarterfinals and the women’s basketball tournament title game.
The Big West will also partner with Fox Sports Networks to create a free-to-access video streaming platform that will be unveiled in November.
While those numbers are small when compared to major conferences this is quite the step up for the Big West, as it improves their media presence in California (9 of the 11 members in the new configuration are located in California) as well as online.
“This agreement with FOX continues a partnership that began more than 15 years ago,” said league commissioner Dennis Farrell in the statement announcing the agreement.
“The Big West’s continued growth and stability contributed to the overall expansion of the package and the increased exposure through the cable and digital platforms will only enhance the Conference brand.”
The Big West also has its first-tier media rights to address, and the presence of the new members will likely lead to improvements in that department as well.
No financial terms were released, but it’s safe to say that the additional media opportunities will benefit the Big West and its members.
Photo credit: Big West Conference
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)