Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Five years after the NCAA ruled that the University of North Dakota would have to remove all of its Fighting Sioux logos from the Ralph Engelstad Arena and Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, a compromise of sorts has been reached.
The NCAA has decided to allow UND to keep most of the logos, and the school’s compliance with the new addendum will result in the NCAA removing North Dakota from its list of schools found to use hostile or abusive names and imagery.
Also of importance to North Dakota but something that doesn’t affect the basketball program, which plays at the Betty Engelsted Sioux Center, is that the ruling allows the school to host NCAA championships on campus.
And with hockey being as big as it is at North Dakota that’s an important aspect of the new addendum as far as UND is concerned.
The “Home of the Fighting Sioux” signage outside of the arena will need to be removed, and the school decided last year to retire the nickname.
Other logos to be removed “include some of the more controversial things, including the logos at the end of seat rows, the brass etched standards along railings and the carpet on the suite level, which can stay (until) it wears out.” (Fargo-Moorhead Forum)
North Dakota is still in the process of adopting a new nickname and logo, and according to North Dakota State Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem Wednesday’s ruling allows the school to create a wall honoring the Sioux Nation within Engelstad Arena.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (5)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)