Sep 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Mike Brey has picked up a recruiting victory that the Notre Dame program truly needed as it looks forward to a future in the ACC.
2013 point guard Demetrius Jackson, who hails from nearby Mishawaka, Indiana, has committed to the school as first reported by both Dave Telep of ESPN.com and Paul Klee of the Champaign News-Gazette.
Jackson, heralded as one of the top point guards in the class by all the major scouting services, chose the Fighting Irish over Illinois.
If you’re looking for a comparison to make in Jackson’s recruitment from an importance standpoint for Notre Dame look no further than the centerpiece of Notre Dame’s women’s basketball team.
Senior point guard Skylar Diggins is a South Bend native and while in high school was one of the most sought-after players in the country.
Head coach Muffet McGraw and her staff succeeded in keeping Diggins home and its led the program to back-to-back national title game appearances.
It would be a bit unfair to put national contender expectations on Jackson’s shoulders, but from an importance standpoint he was a player that Brey and his staff could not allow to play his college basketball somewhere else.
Jackson’s commitment pushes the number up to three in the 2013 class for Notre Dame, joining small forwards V.J. Beachem and Steve Vasturia.
And Notre Dame won’t be lacking for talented options on the perimeter when these three arrive on campus either, as Eric Atkins, Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Cameron Biedscheid will all have eligibility remaining.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona