Sep 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Mike Brey has picked up a recruiting victory that the Notre Dame program truly needed as it looks forward to a future in the ACC.
2013 point guard Demetrius Jackson, who hails from nearby Mishawaka, Indiana, has committed to the school as first reported by both Dave Telep of ESPN.com and Paul Klee of the Champaign News-Gazette.
Jackson, heralded as one of the top point guards in the class by all the major scouting services, chose the Fighting Irish over Illinois.
If you’re looking for a comparison to make in Jackson’s recruitment from an importance standpoint for Notre Dame look no further than the centerpiece of Notre Dame’s women’s basketball team.
Senior point guard Skylar Diggins is a South Bend native and while in high school was one of the most sought-after players in the country.
Head coach Muffet McGraw and her staff succeeded in keeping Diggins home and its led the program to back-to-back national title game appearances.
It would be a bit unfair to put national contender expectations on Jackson’s shoulders, but from an importance standpoint he was a player that Brey and his staff could not allow to play his college basketball somewhere else.
Jackson’s commitment pushes the number up to three in the 2013 class for Notre Dame, joining small forwards V.J. Beachem and Steve Vasturia.
And Notre Dame won’t be lacking for talented options on the perimeter when these three arrive on campus either, as Eric Atkins, Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Cameron Biedscheid will all have eligibility remaining.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)