Sep 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
Mike Brey has picked up a recruiting victory that the Notre Dame program truly needed as it looks forward to a future in the ACC.
2013 point guard Demetrius Jackson, who hails from nearby Mishawaka, Indiana, has committed to the school as first reported by both Dave Telep of ESPN.com and Paul Klee of the Champaign News-Gazette.
Jackson, heralded as one of the top point guards in the class by all the major scouting services, chose the Fighting Irish over Illinois.
If you’re looking for a comparison to make in Jackson’s recruitment from an importance standpoint for Notre Dame look no further than the centerpiece of Notre Dame’s women’s basketball team.
Senior point guard Skylar Diggins is a South Bend native and while in high school was one of the most sought-after players in the country.
Head coach Muffet McGraw and her staff succeeded in keeping Diggins home and its led the program to back-to-back national title game appearances.
It would be a bit unfair to put national contender expectations on Jackson’s shoulders, but from an importance standpoint he was a player that Brey and his staff could not allow to play his college basketball somewhere else.
Jackson’s commitment pushes the number up to three in the 2013 class for Notre Dame, joining small forwards V.J. Beachem and Steve Vasturia.
And Notre Dame won’t be lacking for talented options on the perimeter when these three arrive on campus either, as Eric Atkins, Jerian Grant, Pat Connaughton and Cameron Biedscheid will all have eligibility remaining.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)