Sep 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
New LSU head coach Johnny Jones has landed his first win on the recruiting trail in Baton Rouge.
On Thursday evening, Jordan Mickey, a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2013 from Texas, committed to the Tigers.
Mickey is an athletic and active 6-foot-7 combo-forward. Right now, his best skill is his god-given physical ability. He can get to the offensive glass and he can finish dump-offs around the basket. But he has slowly shown the growth towards being more of a face-up player. His jump shot is coming along, as is his ability to score by putting the ball on the floor or with his back to the basket.
ESPN’s recruiting profile says of Mickey: “it is still early in his progress as a player, but it is obvious that this young man has a chance to be a very good high major prospect.”
The key for Jones now becomes Jarrell Martin, a top 20 big man in LSU’s back yard. If Jones can reel in Martin, LSU will be in good shape for the future, as sophomores Johnny O’Bryant and Anthony Hickey had promising rookie years.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)