Sep 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
New LSU head coach Johnny Jones has landed his first win on the recruiting trail in Baton Rouge.
On Thursday evening, Jordan Mickey, a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2013 from Texas, committed to the Tigers.
Mickey is an athletic and active 6-foot-7 combo-forward. Right now, his best skill is his god-given physical ability. He can get to the offensive glass and he can finish dump-offs around the basket. But he has slowly shown the growth towards being more of a face-up player. His jump shot is coming along, as is his ability to score by putting the ball on the floor or with his back to the basket.
ESPN’s recruiting profile says of Mickey: “it is still early in his progress as a player, but it is obvious that this young man has a chance to be a very good high major prospect.”
The key for Jones now becomes Jarrell Martin, a top 20 big man in LSU’s back yard. If Jones can reel in Martin, LSU will be in good shape for the future, as sophomores Johnny O’Bryant and Anthony Hickey had promising rookie years.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)