Sep 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
New LSU head coach Johnny Jones has landed his first win on the recruiting trail in Baton Rouge.
On Thursday evening, Jordan Mickey, a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2013 from Texas, committed to the Tigers.
Mickey is an athletic and active 6-foot-7 combo-forward. Right now, his best skill is his god-given physical ability. He can get to the offensive glass and he can finish dump-offs around the basket. But he has slowly shown the growth towards being more of a face-up player. His jump shot is coming along, as is his ability to score by putting the ball on the floor or with his back to the basket.
ESPN’s recruiting profile says of Mickey: “it is still early in his progress as a player, but it is obvious that this young man has a chance to be a very good high major prospect.”
The key for Jones now becomes Jarrell Martin, a top 20 big man in LSU’s back yard. If Jones can reel in Martin, LSU will be in good shape for the future, as sophomores Johnny O’Bryant and Anthony Hickey had promising rookie years.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'