Sep 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
New LSU head coach Johnny Jones has landed his first win on the recruiting trail in Baton Rouge.
On Thursday evening, Jordan Mickey, a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2013 from Texas, committed to the Tigers.
Mickey is an athletic and active 6-foot-7 combo-forward. Right now, his best skill is his god-given physical ability. He can get to the offensive glass and he can finish dump-offs around the basket. But he has slowly shown the growth towards being more of a face-up player. His jump shot is coming along, as is his ability to score by putting the ball on the floor or with his back to the basket.
ESPN’s recruiting profile says of Mickey: “it is still early in his progress as a player, but it is obvious that this young man has a chance to be a very good high major prospect.”
The key for Jones now becomes Jarrell Martin, a top 20 big man in LSU’s back yard. If Jones can reel in Martin, LSU will be in good shape for the future, as sophomores Johnny O’Bryant and Anthony Hickey had promising rookie years.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)