Sep 27, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
College Hoopedia is a one-stop shop for some of the best random hoops information on the web.
On Wednesday, they took a look at NFL players that also played college basketball. While some of the most famous names on that list — Donovan McNabb, Terrell Owens and Jason Taylor — are no longer in the league, there are still 14 former college hoopers donning pads on Sundays.
Some of them are quite well-known. We all know the story of Antonio Gates, who was a standout power forward for Kent State’s 2001 Elite Eight team before going on to become a fantasy stalwart at tight end for the San Diego Chargers. Jimmy Graham was a power forward for Miami before switching over to tight end and becoming Drew Brees’ favorite target. Old-timers and all-pros Tony Gonzalez and Julius Peppers played college ball for California and North Carolina, respectively.
Most of the athletes listed by College Hoopedia played very minor roles on their basketball teams. Connor Barwin, for example, walked on to the Cincinnati team in 2005-2006 when they were in desperate need of bodies. But there are a couple of other names on that list worth mentioning:
- Jordan Cameron accepted a basketball scholarship to BYU out of high school, but after redshirting his first year with the Cougars, he transferred to USC to pursue a football career. He currently plays tight end for the Browns.
- Demar Dotson played two seasons for Southern Miss after transferring in from a JuCo. He averaged 5.0 points and 3.6 boards as a senior.
- Julius Thomas, currently a tight end with the Broncos, is probably the best basketball playing NFLer you haven’t heard of. He played four seasons for Portland State, averaging 10.8 points and 5.9 boards as a senior in 2009-2010. As a junior, he averaged 6.9 points for a team that won at Gonzaga and made the NCAA tournament as a No. 13 seed.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)