Sep 28, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
Monday, New Hampton forward Noah Vonleh didn’t shock many when he decided to reclassify and join the class of 2013. Vonleh, considered a top prospect in the class of 2014, didn’t really hurt himself by the grade change, as he is still consensus top-10 player.
Vonleh holds offers from Arizona, UConn, Boston College, Kansas, Ohio State, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Indiana. But his most intriguing offer hails from North Carolina. Vonleh’s game has some resemblance to former Tar Heel, Harrison Barnes.
Vonleh is a physically gifted young athlete. He already has a strong frame and solid athleticism to go along with height. He is listed as many as a power forward, but don’t limit him to just a stretch four. Over time, Vonleh has been able to expand his game out past the perimeter and he could be considered a three.
Seeing Vonleh’s game (see highlights below) he can do some of the same that Barnes did at two years in Chapel Hill. Vonleh has been able to develop a respectable three-point shot, that he can knock down from off the dribble, as well as a catch-and-shoot.
Watching Vonleh out on the perimeter, he can become a matchup nightmare at the next level. Where Barnes used a variety of pump fakes and jabs to get past his defenders, Vonleh uses quickness and ball handling skills to get to the rim and when he gets in the lane is explosive and crafty enough to finish.
Also, Vonleh, like Barnes is a solid rebounder, especially on the offensive glass. On the defensive end, Vonleh has the tools to be a versatile defender.
The recruiting process should be simple for Roy Williams and North Carolina when going after Vonleh: you play similar to a guy we just had and he was a top-10 pick in the NBA Draft.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)