Sep 28, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Friday night, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino joined Terry Meiners for a segment on WHAS, and announced that senior guard Mike Marra had torn his ACL at practice earlier in the day and is done for the season.
According to Pitino, Marra re-tore the same ligament in his left knee that sidelined him for almost all of last season.
“An unfortunate thing happened today,” Pitino said to Meiners. “We’ve been working Mike Marra out individually for the past two months and he’d passed all the tests. Literally in the first 10 minutes of practice, he blew out the same knee with an ACL.”
Marra’s playing days are likely numbered, yet he is not done with the Louisville basketball program. Pitino stated that Marra wants to become a coach one day and Pitino said that Marra will get a head start on being a graduate assistant this season.
Pitino even compared Marra’s situation to his son, Richard, who is now the head coach at Florida International. Richard became a grad assistant as a senior at Providence to get a jump start on his coaching career.
“It wasn’t meant to be for Mike and were going to get him started right away in a different profession,” said Pitino on air.
As a sophomore, Marra averaged 6.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, and two assists per game for the Cardinals. As a junior, he joined a long list of Louisville players out with injuries. Despite the number of injuries, the Cardinals made it back to the Final Four.
The loss of Marra does hurt, but with many returners, the Cardinals are still in good shape heading into the upcoming season.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)