Sep 28, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
Friday night, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino joined Terry Meiners for a segment on WHAS, and announced that senior guard Mike Marra had torn his ACL at practice earlier in the day and is done for the season.
According to Pitino, Marra re-tore the same ligament in his left knee that sidelined him for almost all of last season.
“An unfortunate thing happened today,” Pitino said to Meiners. “We’ve been working Mike Marra out individually for the past two months and he’d passed all the tests. Literally in the first 10 minutes of practice, he blew out the same knee with an ACL.”
Marra’s playing days are likely numbered, yet he is not done with the Louisville basketball program. Pitino stated that Marra wants to become a coach one day and Pitino said that Marra will get a head start on being a graduate assistant this season.
Pitino even compared Marra’s situation to his son, Richard, who is now the head coach at Florida International. Richard became a grad assistant as a senior at Providence to get a jump start on his coaching career.
“It wasn’t meant to be for Mike and were going to get him started right away in a different profession,” said Pitino on air.
As a sophomore, Marra averaged 6.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, and two assists per game for the Cardinals. As a junior, he joined a long list of Louisville players out with injuries. Despite the number of injuries, the Cardinals made it back to the Final Four.
The loss of Marra does hurt, but with many returners, the Cardinals are still in good shape heading into the upcoming season.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)