Sep 28, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
When it was announced just over a week ago that Rutgers head coach Mike Rice was going to rappel 50 stories as part of the American Cancer Society’s “Over the Edge” fundraiser, it was estimated that the trek would take between 20 and 30 minutes.
Rice, who is entering his third season at Rutgers, guaranteed that he would finish in 20 minutes or less. Turns out he was being modest in making that statement.
On a cloudy morning in Jersey City, Rice rappelled the 50-story Harborside Financial Center in nine minutes, even taking the time to wave to office workers on his way down.
The event raised some $250,000 for cancer research, and Rice did experience some nerves when the time to get going arrived.
“I would like to say it was exhilerating and cool, but when he told me to put my weight over the edge and sit down in the harness, all I could feel was my heart racing and pumping,” Rice said moments after he touched ground. “I was like, ‘Oh my God, I have to do this.’”
Among the onlookers were Rice’s wife and two children, and Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti.
“Over the Edge” had six VIP rappellers (including Rice), and the coach wasn’t the only rappeller with Big East ties taking part. Below is a picture of St. John’s mascot Johnny Thunderbird at the completion of his voyage.
stjohnsredstorm (@StJohnsRedStorm) September 28, 2012
And if there’s a need for more proof that Johnny did rappel down the building, here’s a picture of the mascot at about the halfway point.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?