Continuing trend of rappelling down buildings, St. John’s mascot goes down 470 ft. for cancer research
Sep 29, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
First it was Rutgers coach Mike Rice rappelling down a building to raise money for cancer, and now it’s St. John’s mascot Johnny Thunderbird, the oversized red hawk, who dropped 470 feet for the cause.
The Thunderbird scaled down the side of the Harborside Financial Plaza building in Jersey City, N.J., alongside Salvatore J. Cassano, commissioner of the New York Fire Department, NBC Today Show member Sara Haines, television reporter Tina Cervasio, and radio personality Greg T.
“It was an honor and a privilege to rappel in support of the American Cancer Society’s continuing battle against this terrible disease,” “said” Johnny in a statement. “Even though safety regulations wouldn’t allow me to fly, I still feel like I added some thunder to such an awesome event.”
Supporting cancer research is a topic that closely affects the St. John’s program, as head coach Steve Lavin missed the majority of the 2011-12 season recovering from successful prostate cancer surgery.
He will be back on the sidelines for the 2012-13 season with another young Red Storm team that is looking to improve on a 13-19 record from a year ago.
Lavin brings in another strong recruiting class, led by post-grad JaKarr Sampson of Brewster Academy (N.H.), as well as shot-blocker Chris Obekpa and Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch, who will be eligible in December.
St. John’s opens its season on Nov. 13 against Detroit.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)