Sep 29, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
After five years reshaping and rebuilding at Nebraska, athletic director Tom Osborne announced that he would be stepping aside, effective Jan. 1.
“It has been a pleasure and an honor to work in the Athletic Department for the past five years,” Osborne said in a statement.
“I hope that there have been some good things that have been accomplished during that time. I appreciate Chancellor Perlman giving me this opportunity. I’ve had the privilege of working with some outstanding people in the athletic department and have confidence that the trajectory of the athletic department is very good.”
Prior to his work as the athletic director, Osborne had been the school’s head football coach from 1973-97. He also had an extensive political career, being elected to the United States House of Representatives in 2000 and serving until 2007.
Under Osborne’s watch as athletic director, the Cornhuskers transitioned from the Big 12 to the Big Ten.
“It’s been a privilege to work with Tom,” Chancellor Harvey Perlman said. “The move into the Big Ten could not have happened without Tom’s support.
“He has made the facilities stronger and has expanded the department’s role in assisting students through the student life center. He has been instrumental in incorporating research facilities into the athletics complex that build on the department’s reputation for innovation.”
The 2012-13 season will be the first for new head basketball coach Tim Miles, who was hired under Osborne. Miles comes over from Colorado State, where he led the Rams to an NCAA tournament appearance last season.
Nebraska finished 12-18 in 2011-12, including 4-14 in the conference.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)