Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
The DePaul Blue Demons might be bringing basketball out of the suburbs and back into the Windy City, as the university is in “serious discussions” to move the teams’ home games to the United Center, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
For the past 30 years, DePaul has played home games in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, settling now at the Allstate Arena.
Not only could the move happen, but it could happen as soon as next season, the Tribune says, citing a source.
From the Tribune:
DePaul spokesman Greg Greenwell issued a statement that did not deny the possibility. In DePaul’s 2018 strategic plan, Greenwell said, one of the school’s goals is to “seek opportunities to bring men’s basketball back into the city. To that end, DePaul will consider any proposal that will help us accomplish that goal. As of now, however, nothing definitive has been forthcoming.”
DePaul, held back by injuries, finished last season with an overall record of 12-19, including finishing last in the Big East after a 3-15 in-conference mark.
Coach Oliver Purnell, who will be entering his third season with the team in 2012-13, welcomes back star Cleveland Melvin, as well as a three-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)