Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
The DePaul Blue Demons might be bringing basketball out of the suburbs and back into the Windy City, as the university is in “serious discussions” to move the teams’ home games to the United Center, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
For the past 30 years, DePaul has played home games in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, settling now at the Allstate Arena.
Not only could the move happen, but it could happen as soon as next season, the Tribune says, citing a source.
From the Tribune:
DePaul spokesman Greg Greenwell issued a statement that did not deny the possibility. In DePaul’s 2018 strategic plan, Greenwell said, one of the school’s goals is to “seek opportunities to bring men’s basketball back into the city. To that end, DePaul will consider any proposal that will help us accomplish that goal. As of now, however, nothing definitive has been forthcoming.”
DePaul, held back by injuries, finished last season with an overall record of 12-19, including finishing last in the Big East after a 3-15 in-conference mark.
Coach Oliver Purnell, who will be entering his third season with the team in 2012-13, welcomes back star Cleveland Melvin, as well as a three-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)