Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
The DePaul Blue Demons might be bringing basketball out of the suburbs and back into the Windy City, as the university is in “serious discussions” to move the teams’ home games to the United Center, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
For the past 30 years, DePaul has played home games in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, settling now at the Allstate Arena.
Not only could the move happen, but it could happen as soon as next season, the Tribune says, citing a source.
From the Tribune:
DePaul spokesman Greg Greenwell issued a statement that did not deny the possibility. In DePaul’s 2018 strategic plan, Greenwell said, one of the school’s goals is to “seek opportunities to bring men’s basketball back into the city. To that end, DePaul will consider any proposal that will help us accomplish that goal. As of now, however, nothing definitive has been forthcoming.”
DePaul, held back by injuries, finished last season with an overall record of 12-19, including finishing last in the Big East after a 3-15 in-conference mark.
Coach Oliver Purnell, who will be entering his third season with the team in 2012-13, welcomes back star Cleveland Melvin, as well as a three-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)