Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 PM EST
The DePaul Blue Demons might be bringing basketball out of the suburbs and back into the Windy City, as the university is in “serious discussions” to move the teams’ home games to the United Center, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
For the past 30 years, DePaul has played home games in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, settling now at the Allstate Arena.
Not only could the move happen, but it could happen as soon as next season, the Tribune says, citing a source.
From the Tribune:
DePaul spokesman Greg Greenwell issued a statement that did not deny the possibility. In DePaul’s 2018 strategic plan, Greenwell said, one of the school’s goals is to “seek opportunities to bring men’s basketball back into the city. To that end, DePaul will consider any proposal that will help us accomplish that goal. As of now, however, nothing definitive has been forthcoming.”
DePaul, held back by injuries, finished last season with an overall record of 12-19, including finishing last in the Big East after a 3-15 in-conference mark.
Coach Oliver Purnell, who will be entering his third season with the team in 2012-13, welcomes back star Cleveland Melvin, as well as a three-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame falls, No. 13 Louisville comes back from 18 down 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)