Sep 29, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
The DePaul Blue Demons might be bringing basketball out of the suburbs and back into the Windy City, as the university is in “serious discussions” to move the teams’ home games to the United Center, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
For the past 30 years, DePaul has played home games in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, settling now at the Allstate Arena.
Not only could the move happen, but it could happen as soon as next season, the Tribune says, citing a source.
From the Tribune:
DePaul spokesman Greg Greenwell issued a statement that did not deny the possibility. In DePaul’s 2018 strategic plan, Greenwell said, one of the school’s goals is to “seek opportunities to bring men’s basketball back into the city. To that end, DePaul will consider any proposal that will help us accomplish that goal. As of now, however, nothing definitive has been forthcoming.”
DePaul, held back by injuries, finished last season with an overall record of 12-19, including finishing last in the Big East after a 3-15 in-conference mark.
Coach Oliver Purnell, who will be entering his third season with the team in 2012-13, welcomes back star Cleveland Melvin, as well as a three-man recruiting class from the Class of 2012.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)