Sep 30, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Just over two weeks ago it was announced that Xavier freshmen Myles Davis and Jalen Reynolds were ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
Well, the hits keep on coming as it’s been reported by multiple outlets that Chipola JC point guard Chris Thomas has decided to reopen (subscription required) his recruitment.
Thomas was originally a member of the 2013 class as a high school player, but the well-traveled guard from Colorado made the move to Chipola last year.
And given the path that Thomas has traveled to this point, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that he would reopen his recruitment.
He started out in his hometown of Denver at Montbello (Colo.), but never played a game there. After that, Thomas attended Princeton Day Academy (Md.) and then planned to enroll at Westwind Prep (Ariz.). After deciding not to attend Westwind, he ended his high school career with a couple of months at South Kent Prep (Conn.) – before enrolling at Chipola Junior College in Florida, where he took classes but didn’t play last season. Thomas reportedly obtained his GED at Chipola, and is expected to begin taking classes this year.
If there’s any good news for Xavier it’s that freshman Semaj Christion is a talented point guard that they’ll be able to rely on in the future (as well as this season).
But the loss of another player who has yet to play a game for the program is not what the Musketeers needed, and Thomas’ decision means that Xavier is without a 2013 commitment.
Thomas may be a well-traveled prospect but his talent level will make the Denver native a highly sought-after player over the next few months.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)