Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
A former media director at the University of Tennessee is suing the school and the school’s athletic director after her retirement from her position this spring.
Debby Jennings, who served for 35 years in the Tennessee athletic department as the Lady Vols’ media director, alleges “unlawful discrimination and retaliation” in a suit filed Thursday.
According to an account by the Associated Press, Jennings says athletic director Dave Hart “and other athletic officials wanted to remodel the athletic department as a “good ol’ boys” club while replacing her with a younger man.”
At the time of her departure from the school, Jennings was 57 years old.
The Tennessee women’s basketball team has been in the news in recent months because of the retirement of longtime coach Pat Summitt, who is also mentioned in the filing.
The suit alleges that Hart told former women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt in March, the day before the team traveled to Chicago to begin the NCAA tournament, that she would not be coaching the team during the 2012-13 season, and that he planned to name Holly Warlick to replace college basketball’s all-time winningest coach.
The suit says that when Summitt told Jennings about the conversation with Hart that Summitt was “very upset and extremely hurt.” It also says that Summitt told her secretary, personal administrative assistant and a Lady Vols assistant coach.
To read the entire report, click here.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)