Sep 30, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
California coach Mike Montgomery got perhaps the biggest commitment of his tenure this month when highly rated 2013 prospect Jabari Bird pledged his name to the Golden Bears.
Bird was following in the footsteps of his father, who also played basketball for Cal, and it was widely expected that he, too, would be a Golden Bear.
But the biggest question for Montgomery and Cal is whether Bird’s commitment will attract other top-25 players from the class that have played with or been associated with Cal’s first 2013 commit.
The first name mentioned is Marcus Lee, a 6-9, 200-pound forward from Antioch, Calif., who, according to Sports Illustrated, is down to California and Kentucky. He cut Louisville from his list after the Cardinals scored a commitment from Akoy Agau.
Lee is a top-30 player in the class.
And the other major name for Montgomery and California is Aaron Gordon, a top-5 national player and another in-state prospect.
Montgomery knows that he has to keep up in the Pac-12 arms race, considering the recent high-level classes hauled in by schools like UCLA and Arizona, and scoring Gordon and Lee would certainly help.
“We’re after a monster class,” Bird told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I don’t think Marcus had shown a lot of interest in Cal, but they’re definitely on his radar now. Aaron will make his own decision, but I know he was impressed.”
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)