Sep 30, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
It could not have gone any other way.
If North Carolina State was going to open up a Hall of Fame, Jim Valvano had to be in the inaugural class. Anything else would have been an outrage.
Valvano is, indeed, headlining the group going into the newly-minted N.C. State Athletics Hall of Fame on October 5. The ceremony will take place at Reynolds Coliseum, a place once known as “Jim’s Gym.”
The list of inductees is basketball-heavy, with legendary former Wolfpack head coach Everett Case and superstar player David Thompson taking their rightful places alongside women’s coach Kay Yow and player Genia Beasley.
The Charlotte Observer was able to get some good reaction quotes from Valvano’s older brother, Nick:
“He would have been incredibly honored, but he would not have been speechless,” said Nick Valvano, Jim’s older brother.
“A big honor for Jim is to hear other coaches talk about the kind of bench coach he was, how well-prepared he was,” Nick Valvano said. “If you’re a coach it’s certainly about the wins and losses. But it’s also about how your players mature as people and the lives they lead.
“Look at Jim’s players. By and large, they turned out well, didn’t they?”
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)