Sep 30, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
It could not have gone any other way.
If North Carolina State was going to open up a Hall of Fame, Jim Valvano had to be in the inaugural class. Anything else would have been an outrage.
Valvano is, indeed, headlining the group going into the newly-minted N.C. State Athletics Hall of Fame on October 5. The ceremony will take place at Reynolds Coliseum, a place once known as “Jim’s Gym.”
The list of inductees is basketball-heavy, with legendary former Wolfpack head coach Everett Case and superstar player David Thompson taking their rightful places alongside women’s coach Kay Yow and player Genia Beasley.
The Charlotte Observer was able to get some good reaction quotes from Valvano’s older brother, Nick:
“He would have been incredibly honored, but he would not have been speechless,” said Nick Valvano, Jim’s older brother.
“A big honor for Jim is to hear other coaches talk about the kind of bench coach he was, how well-prepared he was,” Nick Valvano said. “If you’re a coach it’s certainly about the wins and losses. But it’s also about how your players mature as people and the lives they lead.
“Look at Jim’s players. By and large, they turned out well, didn’t they?”
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)