Oct 1, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
As if things weren’t bad enough for Chris Mack and the Xavier Musketeers, the future of his program took a hit over the weekend.
Chris Thomas, who is one of the most talented wings in the Class of 2013, decommitted from the Musketeers on Sunday, according to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com. The report says that a desire to be recruited along with the issues at Xavier — Dez Wells was expelled, two recruits were ruled ineligible this year, Mark Lyons left the program with a year of eligibility remaining, and the black eye from a brawl with Cincinnati still remains — all played a role in Thomas’ decision.
But there’s more to it than that.
Anyone that has followed his recruitment shouldn’t be surprised by this decision, however. Thomas hasn’t exactly inspired with his reliability. Borzello explains:
He started out in his hometown of Denver at Montbello (Colo.) but never played a game there. After that, Thomas attended Princeton Day Academy (Md.) and then planned to enroll at Westwind Prep (Ariz.). After deciding not to attend Westwind, he ended his high school career with a couple of months at South Kent Prep (Conn.) – before enrolling at Chipola Junior College in Florida, where he took classes but didn’t play last season. Thomas reportedly obtained his GED at Chipola and is expected to begin taking classes this year.
Thomas is a five-star talent, but the fact that he’s not being pursued by the elite programs should give you an idea of just how many red flags he has. He can’t stay with one team or one program for an extended period of time. He has academic issues that need to be worked out — part of the reason he decided to spend a year and a half at a JuCo was because his high school transcript was a mess. He’s already reclassified once.
Who knows where Thomas ends up now, but it will be interesting to see how long he lasts there.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 0
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)