Oct 2, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
We’ve some significant news coming out of the MAC today.
The league’s reigning Sixth-Man of the Year, Akron’s Quincy Diggs, was kicked out of school for the rest of the year for a violation of the University’s Student Code of Conduct.
Diggs averaged 8.5 points, 3.1 boards, 2.4 assists and 1.2 steals coming off the bench as a junior. As the Hustle Belt, your premiere destination for all things MAC, notes, Diggs was an “absolute energy machine” last year. With the Zips once again competing for a MAC title this season, his loss will be felt.
I do like the attitude that head coach Keith Dambrot has in regards to Diggs. “I’m not concerned about the effect on the team, I’m concerned that [he] graduates,” he told Ohio.com. While losing out on this season may seem like the end of the world for Diggs right now, losing out on the opportunity to finish up his degree would be a much bigger loss. Diggs may one day be a professional basketball player, but he won’t be making millions in the NBA. Once his basketball career is over, he’ll need to find a way to make a living off of the basketball court.
Finishing that degree would go a long way towards helping his cause.
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 0
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)