Oct 2, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
We’ve some significant news coming out of the MAC today.
The league’s reigning Sixth-Man of the Year, Akron’s Quincy Diggs, was kicked out of school for the rest of the year for a violation of the University’s Student Code of Conduct.
Diggs averaged 8.5 points, 3.1 boards, 2.4 assists and 1.2 steals coming off the bench as a junior. As the Hustle Belt, your premiere destination for all things MAC, notes, Diggs was an “absolute energy machine” last year. With the Zips once again competing for a MAC title this season, his loss will be felt.
I do like the attitude that head coach Keith Dambrot has in regards to Diggs. “I’m not concerned about the effect on the team, I’m concerned that [he] graduates,” he told Ohio.com. While losing out on this season may seem like the end of the world for Diggs right now, losing out on the opportunity to finish up his degree would be a much bigger loss. Diggs may one day be a professional basketball player, but he won’t be making millions in the NBA. Once his basketball career is over, he’ll need to find a way to make a living off of the basketball court.
Finishing that degree would go a long way towards helping his cause.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)