Oct 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Within days, 2013 forward Austin Torres went from a mid-major prospect to a high-major commit, rescinding his pledge to Central Michigan and following AAU teammate Demetrius Jackson to Notre Dame.
Torres, a 6-7, 210-pound forward, held no Division-I offers prior to last summer, according to the South Bend Tribune, and was considering other offers from Lamar, Navy, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
“It’s crazy,” Torres told the paper. “It’s been a dream of mine forever to go to Notre Dame. I’ve been to so many basketball games, so many soccer games. It’s a lot to let sink in and absorb.”
He is another case of a player getting exposure to a high-major college because of another prospect that a school might be looking at, and should brings rebounding and hard defense to the Irish in 2013.
Torres’ commitment brings coach Mike Brey’s total to four for the Class of 2013, joining Jackson, Indiana native V.J. Beachem, and sharpshooter Steve Vasturia of Philadelphia.
Last month, the Irish announced their intentions to move to the ACC from the Big East. No decision has been reached on when Notre Dame will leave the latter conference, but precedent has been set with the early departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
According to the report from the Tribune, Torres will likely redshirt his freshman season.
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement