Oct 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Within days, 2013 forward Austin Torres went from a mid-major prospect to a high-major commit, rescinding his pledge to Central Michigan and following AAU teammate Demetrius Jackson to Notre Dame.
Torres, a 6-7, 210-pound forward, held no Division-I offers prior to last summer, according to the South Bend Tribune, and was considering other offers from Lamar, Navy, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
“It’s crazy,” Torres told the paper. “It’s been a dream of mine forever to go to Notre Dame. I’ve been to so many basketball games, so many soccer games. It’s a lot to let sink in and absorb.”
He is another case of a player getting exposure to a high-major college because of another prospect that a school might be looking at, and should brings rebounding and hard defense to the Irish in 2013.
Torres’ commitment brings coach Mike Brey’s total to four for the Class of 2013, joining Jackson, Indiana native V.J. Beachem, and sharpshooter Steve Vasturia of Philadelphia.
Last month, the Irish announced their intentions to move to the ACC from the Big East. No decision has been reached on when Notre Dame will leave the latter conference, but precedent has been set with the early departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
According to the report from the Tribune, Torres will likely redshirt his freshman season.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)