Oct 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
Within days, 2013 forward Austin Torres went from a mid-major prospect to a high-major commit, rescinding his pledge to Central Michigan and following AAU teammate Demetrius Jackson to Notre Dame.
Torres, a 6-7, 210-pound forward, held no Division-I offers prior to last summer, according to the South Bend Tribune, and was considering other offers from Lamar, Navy, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
“It’s crazy,” Torres told the paper. “It’s been a dream of mine forever to go to Notre Dame. I’ve been to so many basketball games, so many soccer games. It’s a lot to let sink in and absorb.”
He is another case of a player getting exposure to a high-major college because of another prospect that a school might be looking at, and should brings rebounding and hard defense to the Irish in 2013.
Torres’ commitment brings coach Mike Brey’s total to four for the Class of 2013, joining Jackson, Indiana native V.J. Beachem, and sharpshooter Steve Vasturia of Philadelphia.
Last month, the Irish announced their intentions to move to the ACC from the Big East. No decision has been reached on when Notre Dame will leave the latter conference, but precedent has been set with the early departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
According to the report from the Tribune, Torres will likely redshirt his freshman season.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)