Oct 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
Within days, 2013 forward Austin Torres went from a mid-major prospect to a high-major commit, rescinding his pledge to Central Michigan and following AAU teammate Demetrius Jackson to Notre Dame.
Torres, a 6-7, 210-pound forward, held no Division-I offers prior to last summer, according to the South Bend Tribune, and was considering other offers from Lamar, Navy, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
“It’s crazy,” Torres told the paper. “It’s been a dream of mine forever to go to Notre Dame. I’ve been to so many basketball games, so many soccer games. It’s a lot to let sink in and absorb.”
He is another case of a player getting exposure to a high-major college because of another prospect that a school might be looking at, and should brings rebounding and hard defense to the Irish in 2013.
Torres’ commitment brings coach Mike Brey’s total to four for the Class of 2013, joining Jackson, Indiana native V.J. Beachem, and sharpshooter Steve Vasturia of Philadelphia.
Last month, the Irish announced their intentions to move to the ACC from the Big East. No decision has been reached on when Notre Dame will leave the latter conference, but precedent has been set with the early departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
According to the report from the Tribune, Torres will likely redshirt his freshman season.
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 1
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)