Oct 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
Within days, 2013 forward Austin Torres went from a mid-major prospect to a high-major commit, rescinding his pledge to Central Michigan and following AAU teammate Demetrius Jackson to Notre Dame.
Torres, a 6-7, 210-pound forward, held no Division-I offers prior to last summer, according to the South Bend Tribune, and was considering other offers from Lamar, Navy, and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.
“It’s crazy,” Torres told the paper. “It’s been a dream of mine forever to go to Notre Dame. I’ve been to so many basketball games, so many soccer games. It’s a lot to let sink in and absorb.”
He is another case of a player getting exposure to a high-major college because of another prospect that a school might be looking at, and should brings rebounding and hard defense to the Irish in 2013.
Torres’ commitment brings coach Mike Brey’s total to four for the Class of 2013, joining Jackson, Indiana native V.J. Beachem, and sharpshooter Steve Vasturia of Philadelphia.
Last month, the Irish announced their intentions to move to the ACC from the Big East. No decision has been reached on when Notre Dame will leave the latter conference, but precedent has been set with the early departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
According to the report from the Tribune, Torres will likely redshirt his freshman season.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)