Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Mike Montgomery has added another piece to his 2013 recruiting class.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sam Singer announced his commitment to Cal via his twitter account:
Just committed to Cal! One of the best moments of my life. Excited to get out there. #gobears
— Sam Singer (@samsinger123) October 2, 2012
Singer isn’t the same kind of recruit as the other two players currently committed to the Bears. He’s not Jabari Bird or Jordan Matthews, scoring guards that more or less had their pick of where they wanted to play in college. Singer’s a three-star recruit that was also considering the likes of Davidson, Harvard and Richmond, according to his ESPN bio.
But that certainly doesn’t mean the kid’s a bum. He can play. I had a chance to see him at the Hoop Group’s Pitt JamFest back in April, and he’s a player that will have success at the Pac-12 level. He’s a bigger guard, standing 6-foot-5, and while he’s not overly athletic, he plays with a high basketball IQ. He’s an excellent passer and an efficient decision maker with a quality three-point stroke. He actually reminds me a bit of Luke Hancock from his time at George Mason in that regard.
Back to Cal, the key for them now becomes Marcus Lee.
Lee, a California native, has cut his list to two schools: Cal and Kentucky. We talked about his upcoming decision late last week. Adding a big man of his skill level would give Monty what would likely end up being one of the ten best recruiting classes in the country.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)