Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Mike Montgomery has added another piece to his 2013 recruiting class.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sam Singer announced his commitment to Cal via his twitter account:
Just committed to Cal! One of the best moments of my life. Excited to get out there. #gobears
— Sam Singer (@samsinger123) October 2, 2012
Singer isn’t the same kind of recruit as the other two players currently committed to the Bears. He’s not Jabari Bird or Jordan Matthews, scoring guards that more or less had their pick of where they wanted to play in college. Singer’s a three-star recruit that was also considering the likes of Davidson, Harvard and Richmond, according to his ESPN bio.
But that certainly doesn’t mean the kid’s a bum. He can play. I had a chance to see him at the Hoop Group’s Pitt JamFest back in April, and he’s a player that will have success at the Pac-12 level. He’s a bigger guard, standing 6-foot-5, and while he’s not overly athletic, he plays with a high basketball IQ. He’s an excellent passer and an efficient decision maker with a quality three-point stroke. He actually reminds me a bit of Luke Hancock from his time at George Mason in that regard.
Back to Cal, the key for them now becomes Marcus Lee.
Lee, a California native, has cut his list to two schools: Cal and Kentucky. We talked about his upcoming decision late last week. Adding a big man of his skill level would give Monty what would likely end up being one of the ten best recruiting classes in the country.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)