Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Mike Montgomery has added another piece to his 2013 recruiting class.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sam Singer announced his commitment to Cal via his twitter account:
Just committed to Cal! One of the best moments of my life. Excited to get out there. #gobears
— Sam Singer (@samsinger123) October 2, 2012
Singer isn’t the same kind of recruit as the other two players currently committed to the Bears. He’s not Jabari Bird or Jordan Matthews, scoring guards that more or less had their pick of where they wanted to play in college. Singer’s a three-star recruit that was also considering the likes of Davidson, Harvard and Richmond, according to his ESPN bio.
But that certainly doesn’t mean the kid’s a bum. He can play. I had a chance to see him at the Hoop Group’s Pitt JamFest back in April, and he’s a player that will have success at the Pac-12 level. He’s a bigger guard, standing 6-foot-5, and while he’s not overly athletic, he plays with a high basketball IQ. He’s an excellent passer and an efficient decision maker with a quality three-point stroke. He actually reminds me a bit of Luke Hancock from his time at George Mason in that regard.
Back to Cal, the key for them now becomes Marcus Lee.
Lee, a California native, has cut his list to two schools: Cal and Kentucky. We talked about his upcoming decision late last week. Adding a big man of his skill level would give Monty what would likely end up being one of the ten best recruiting classes in the country.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)