Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 PM EST
Mike Montgomery has added another piece to his 2013 recruiting class.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sam Singer announced his commitment to Cal via his twitter account:
Just committed to Cal! One of the best moments of my life. Excited to get out there. #gobears
— Sam Singer (@samsinger123) October 2, 2012
Singer isn’t the same kind of recruit as the other two players currently committed to the Bears. He’s not Jabari Bird or Jordan Matthews, scoring guards that more or less had their pick of where they wanted to play in college. Singer’s a three-star recruit that was also considering the likes of Davidson, Harvard and Richmond, according to his ESPN bio.
But that certainly doesn’t mean the kid’s a bum. He can play. I had a chance to see him at the Hoop Group’s Pitt JamFest back in April, and he’s a player that will have success at the Pac-12 level. He’s a bigger guard, standing 6-foot-5, and while he’s not overly athletic, he plays with a high basketball IQ. He’s an excellent passer and an efficient decision maker with a quality three-point stroke. He actually reminds me a bit of Luke Hancock from his time at George Mason in that regard.
Back to Cal, the key for them now becomes Marcus Lee.
Lee, a California native, has cut his list to two schools: Cal and Kentucky. We talked about his upcoming decision late last week. Adding a big man of his skill level would give Monty what would likely end up being one of the ten best recruiting classes in the country.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)