Oct 3, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Hofstra will begin their season a bit short-handed.
A pair of high-major transfers — Taran Buie from Penn State and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel from UConn — have been suspended. Buie, who averaged 5.8 points two years ago, and Coombs-McDaniel, who averaged 5.6 points for the Huskies as a sophomre, will both miss the season’s first two games as well as two preseason games for violating team rules.
“We have high expectations for the student-athletes in our program,” coach Mo Cassara said in a news release. “Taran and Jamal will be focused on their academic endeavors, while they continue to be members of our men’s basketball team. We look forward to their return, but more importantly they will have to show they understand the responsibilities and obligations of being part of this program.”
Hofstra is undergoing a bit of a youth movement this season, as they are two years removed from the graduation of Charles Jenkins and coming off a season where Mike Moore and Nat Lester finished up their eligibility. Steph Mejia, David Imes and Stephen Nwaukoni all return, but the rest of the rotation will likely be newcomers. That’s why Buie and Coomb-McDaniel are so important to this team.
Their veteran leadership.
A four game suspension for violating team rules isn’t a good start.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)