Oct 3, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Hofstra will begin their season a bit short-handed.
A pair of high-major transfers — Taran Buie from Penn State and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel from UConn — have been suspended. Buie, who averaged 5.8 points two years ago, and Coombs-McDaniel, who averaged 5.6 points for the Huskies as a sophomre, will both miss the season’s first two games as well as two preseason games for violating team rules.
“We have high expectations for the student-athletes in our program,” coach Mo Cassara said in a news release. “Taran and Jamal will be focused on their academic endeavors, while they continue to be members of our men’s basketball team. We look forward to their return, but more importantly they will have to show they understand the responsibilities and obligations of being part of this program.”
Hofstra is undergoing a bit of a youth movement this season, as they are two years removed from the graduation of Charles Jenkins and coming off a season where Mike Moore and Nat Lester finished up their eligibility. Steph Mejia, David Imes and Stephen Nwaukoni all return, but the rest of the rotation will likely be newcomers. That’s why Buie and Coomb-McDaniel are so important to this team.
Their veteran leadership.
A four game suspension for violating team rules isn’t a good start.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)