Oct 3, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Hofstra will begin their season a bit short-handed.
A pair of high-major transfers — Taran Buie from Penn State and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel from UConn — have been suspended. Buie, who averaged 5.8 points two years ago, and Coombs-McDaniel, who averaged 5.6 points for the Huskies as a sophomre, will both miss the season’s first two games as well as two preseason games for violating team rules.
“We have high expectations for the student-athletes in our program,” coach Mo Cassara said in a news release. “Taran and Jamal will be focused on their academic endeavors, while they continue to be members of our men’s basketball team. We look forward to their return, but more importantly they will have to show they understand the responsibilities and obligations of being part of this program.”
Hofstra is undergoing a bit of a youth movement this season, as they are two years removed from the graduation of Charles Jenkins and coming off a season where Mike Moore and Nat Lester finished up their eligibility. Steph Mejia, David Imes and Stephen Nwaukoni all return, but the rest of the rotation will likely be newcomers. That’s why Buie and Coomb-McDaniel are so important to this team.
Their veteran leadership.
A four game suspension for violating team rules isn’t a good start.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)