Oct 3, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Hofstra will begin their season a bit short-handed.
A pair of high-major transfers — Taran Buie from Penn State and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel from UConn — have been suspended. Buie, who averaged 5.8 points two years ago, and Coombs-McDaniel, who averaged 5.6 points for the Huskies as a sophomre, will both miss the season’s first two games as well as two preseason games for violating team rules.
“We have high expectations for the student-athletes in our program,” coach Mo Cassara said in a news release. “Taran and Jamal will be focused on their academic endeavors, while they continue to be members of our men’s basketball team. We look forward to their return, but more importantly they will have to show they understand the responsibilities and obligations of being part of this program.”
Hofstra is undergoing a bit of a youth movement this season, as they are two years removed from the graduation of Charles Jenkins and coming off a season where Mike Moore and Nat Lester finished up their eligibility. Steph Mejia, David Imes and Stephen Nwaukoni all return, but the rest of the rotation will likely be newcomers. That’s why Buie and Coomb-McDaniel are so important to this team.
Their veteran leadership.
A four game suspension for violating team rules isn’t a good start.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)