Oct 3, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
Virginia guard Jontel Evans will be out for six weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot, the school announced Wednesday.
Evans has started 70 games for the Cavaliers in his three seasons with the team, averaging 7.3 points and 3.9 assists per game last season.
“Jontel, obviously, he’s got a strong mind, and he’s a quick healer, so hopefully he’ll be back soon,” head coach Tony Bennett said in a release. “It was something that needed to be done, and everything went well. It’s unfortunate. You don’t want to have to miss your preseason.”
“It’s an unfortunate situation for [Evans], going into his senior year,” said guard Joe Harris in the release.
“He’s team captain, he had a great summer, played really well in Europe, and now he’s got kind of a minor setback. But he said the surgery and everything went well today. [Evans has] real high spirits, and he’s got the right attitude, I feel, to come back.”
Evans is even more important this season as the Cavaliers look to compensate for the loss of Mike Scott, the team’s leading scorer and rebounder from last season.
Harris, a 6-6 native of Washington, averaged 11.5 points per game last season and could help to fill the void, but Evans’ continued growth on the offensive end once he returns will be key for Virginia.
The Cavaliers finished 22-10 last season and earned a berth to the NCAA tournament in 2011-12. They open their season on Nov. 9 against George Mason.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)