Oct 3, 2012, 3:14 PM EST
Virginia guard Jontel Evans will be out for six weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot, the school announced Wednesday.
Evans has started 70 games for the Cavaliers in his three seasons with the team, averaging 7.3 points and 3.9 assists per game last season.
“Jontel, obviously, he’s got a strong mind, and he’s a quick healer, so hopefully he’ll be back soon,” head coach Tony Bennett said in a release. “It was something that needed to be done, and everything went well. It’s unfortunate. You don’t want to have to miss your preseason.”
“It’s an unfortunate situation for [Evans], going into his senior year,” said guard Joe Harris in the release.
“He’s team captain, he had a great summer, played really well in Europe, and now he’s got kind of a minor setback. But he said the surgery and everything went well today. [Evans has] real high spirits, and he’s got the right attitude, I feel, to come back.”
Evans is even more important this season as the Cavaliers look to compensate for the loss of Mike Scott, the team’s leading scorer and rebounder from last season.
Harris, a 6-6 native of Washington, averaged 11.5 points per game last season and could help to fill the void, but Evans’ continued growth on the offensive end once he returns will be key for Virginia.
The Cavaliers finished 22-10 last season and earned a berth to the NCAA tournament in 2011-12. They open their season on Nov. 9 against George Mason.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)