Oct 4, 2012, 5:33 PM EST
In one of the most important recruiting decisions in recent history, twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison (Richmond, Texas) have verbally committed to attend Kentucky.
The twins, who are both consensus Top 5 prospects and announced their decision on ESPNU, picked the reigning national champions over Maryland and SMU.
“We just sat down one night and decided that we wanted to go somewhere [where we knew] we could win as soon as we get there,” said Aaron on the telecast.
Calipari wins another high-profile recruiting battle, and landing the twins makes Kentucky a national title contender as soon as they arrive on campus next year.
“I think Coach Calipari presented a challenge for us and he just told us from day one it was going to be tough and he was going to push us every day,” said Andrew.
“And that’s what we really wanted to hear. We just want to become better players.”
In three seasons in Lexington, Calipari has seen 15 players selected in the NBA Draft and that track record has an impact on many of the nation’s most talented prospects.
The Harrison twins join Derek Willis in the Wildcats’ 2013 class and they certainly aren’t done either.
Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, Marcus Lee and James Young are four other elite prospects who hold offers from Kentucky, and it still remains to be seen if 2014 stud Andrew Wiggins makes the move back into the 2013 class.
There’s also the matter of who leaves/returns to Lexington after this season, but with the players committed and who is remaining on the board the Wildcats will be OK.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)