Oct 4, 2012, 8:28 PM EST
In a move that surprised few, Texas Tech named Chris Walker as their interim head coach.
Walker had been the program’s associate head coach for a year under Billy Gillispie. A Villanova graduate, Walker has spent the past 20 years coaching at Loyola Marymount, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, UMass, New Mexico and Villanova. This will be his first head coaching experience.
“I want to thank Kirby Hocutt, (President) Dr. Lawrence Schovanec and Chancellor Kent Hance for entrusting me with this opportunity to lead this program as we move forward,” Walker said in a statement. “I have been blessed with the good fortune to work for excellent head coaches and I am prepared to take on this challenge.”
“I am excited about our team and what we can accomplish this season. We will have a great attitude and play hard, play together, play smart and play with pride every time we step on the floor. Some will measure our success with how many wins we have, but we will measure our success by how hard we will play for the name on the front the jersey.”
Walker had been the day-to-day interim head coach since September 20th, when Billy Gillispie resigned. Gillispie cited health concerns, although most have speculated that the resignation was the result of this story coming out.
(Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)