Oct 4, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
In a move that surprised few, Texas Tech named Chris Walker as their interim head coach.
Walker had been the program’s associate head coach for a year under Billy Gillispie. A Villanova graduate, Walker has spent the past 20 years coaching at Loyola Marymount, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, UMass, New Mexico and Villanova. This will be his first head coaching experience.
“I want to thank Kirby Hocutt, (President) Dr. Lawrence Schovanec and Chancellor Kent Hance for entrusting me with this opportunity to lead this program as we move forward,” Walker said in a statement. “I have been blessed with the good fortune to work for excellent head coaches and I am prepared to take on this challenge.”
“I am excited about our team and what we can accomplish this season. We will have a great attitude and play hard, play together, play smart and play with pride every time we step on the floor. Some will measure our success with how many wins we have, but we will measure our success by how hard we will play for the name on the front the jersey.”
Walker had been the day-to-day interim head coach since September 20th, when Billy Gillispie resigned. Gillispie cited health concerns, although most have speculated that the resignation was the result of this story coming out.
(Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics)
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)