Oct 4, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
In a move that surprised few, Texas Tech named Chris Walker as their interim head coach.
Walker had been the program’s associate head coach for a year under Billy Gillispie. A Villanova graduate, Walker has spent the past 20 years coaching at Loyola Marymount, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, UMass, New Mexico and Villanova. This will be his first head coaching experience.
“I want to thank Kirby Hocutt, (President) Dr. Lawrence Schovanec and Chancellor Kent Hance for entrusting me with this opportunity to lead this program as we move forward,” Walker said in a statement. “I have been blessed with the good fortune to work for excellent head coaches and I am prepared to take on this challenge.”
“I am excited about our team and what we can accomplish this season. We will have a great attitude and play hard, play together, play smart and play with pride every time we step on the floor. Some will measure our success with how many wins we have, but we will measure our success by how hard we will play for the name on the front the jersey.”
Walker had been the day-to-day interim head coach since September 20th, when Billy Gillispie resigned. Gillispie cited health concerns, although most have speculated that the resignation was the result of this story coming out.
(Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics)
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)