Oct 4, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
In a move that surprised few, Texas Tech named Chris Walker as their interim head coach.
Walker had been the program’s associate head coach for a year under Billy Gillispie. A Villanova graduate, Walker has spent the past 20 years coaching at Loyola Marymount, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, UMass, New Mexico and Villanova. This will be his first head coaching experience.
“I want to thank Kirby Hocutt, (President) Dr. Lawrence Schovanec and Chancellor Kent Hance for entrusting me with this opportunity to lead this program as we move forward,” Walker said in a statement. “I have been blessed with the good fortune to work for excellent head coaches and I am prepared to take on this challenge.”
“I am excited about our team and what we can accomplish this season. We will have a great attitude and play hard, play together, play smart and play with pride every time we step on the floor. Some will measure our success with how many wins we have, but we will measure our success by how hard we will play for the name on the front the jersey.”
Walker had been the day-to-day interim head coach since September 20th, when Billy Gillispie resigned. Gillispie cited health concerns, although most have speculated that the resignation was the result of this story coming out.
(Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics)
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)