Oct 4, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
In a move that surprised few, Texas Tech named Chris Walker as their interim head coach.
Walker had been the program’s associate head coach for a year under Billy Gillispie. A Villanova graduate, Walker has spent the past 20 years coaching at Loyola Marymount, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, UMass, New Mexico and Villanova. This will be his first head coaching experience.
“I want to thank Kirby Hocutt, (President) Dr. Lawrence Schovanec and Chancellor Kent Hance for entrusting me with this opportunity to lead this program as we move forward,” Walker said in a statement. “I have been blessed with the good fortune to work for excellent head coaches and I am prepared to take on this challenge.”
“I am excited about our team and what we can accomplish this season. We will have a great attitude and play hard, play together, play smart and play with pride every time we step on the floor. Some will measure our success with how many wins we have, but we will measure our success by how hard we will play for the name on the front the jersey.”
Walker had been the day-to-day interim head coach since September 20th, when Billy Gillispie resigned. Gillispie cited health concerns, although most have speculated that the resignation was the result of this story coming out.
(Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics)
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)