Oct 5, 2012, 7:12 PM EST
Rumors circulated on Thursday that the Battle of the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State would be cancelled, due to lack of sponsorship.
However, 24 hours later, both schools, as well as FOX Sports San Diego – the network televising the game – confirmed that the Nov.9 non-conference matchup will in fact happen.
“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, Sr. Vice President and General Manager in a press release. “We’re happy to work with San Diego State and Syracuse to make Battle on the Midway a first-class event here in San Diego and an outstanding telecast to our national audiences.”
This season-opening game will take place on the U.S. Midway Museum and set to start at 5 p.m. Both the Orange and the Aztecs have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons.
The game also features a pair of coaches with national champions under their belt – Cuse’s Jim Boeheim and SDSU’s Steve Fisher.
“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in the release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 0
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)