Oct 5, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
Rumors circulated on Thursday that the Battle of the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State would be cancelled, due to lack of sponsorship.
However, 24 hours later, both schools, as well as FOX Sports San Diego – the network televising the game – confirmed that the Nov.9 non-conference matchup will in fact happen.
“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, Sr. Vice President and General Manager in a press release. “We’re happy to work with San Diego State and Syracuse to make Battle on the Midway a first-class event here in San Diego and an outstanding telecast to our national audiences.”
This season-opening game will take place on the U.S. Midway Museum and set to start at 5 p.m. Both the Orange and the Aztecs have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons.
The game also features a pair of coaches with national champions under their belt – Cuse’s Jim Boeheim and SDSU’s Steve Fisher.
“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in the release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)