Oct 5, 2012, 7:12 PM EST
Rumors circulated on Thursday that the Battle of the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State would be cancelled, due to lack of sponsorship.
However, 24 hours later, both schools, as well as FOX Sports San Diego – the network televising the game – confirmed that the Nov.9 non-conference matchup will in fact happen.
“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, Sr. Vice President and General Manager in a press release. “We’re happy to work with San Diego State and Syracuse to make Battle on the Midway a first-class event here in San Diego and an outstanding telecast to our national audiences.”
This season-opening game will take place on the U.S. Midway Museum and set to start at 5 p.m. Both the Orange and the Aztecs have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons.
The game also features a pair of coaches with national champions under their belt – Cuse’s Jim Boeheim and SDSU’s Steve Fisher.
“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in the release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)