Oct 5, 2012, 7:12 PM EDT
Rumors circulated on Thursday that the Battle of the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State would be cancelled, due to lack of sponsorship.
However, 24 hours later, both schools, as well as FOX Sports San Diego – the network televising the game – confirmed that the Nov.9 non-conference matchup will in fact happen.
“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, Sr. Vice President and General Manager in a press release. “We’re happy to work with San Diego State and Syracuse to make Battle on the Midway a first-class event here in San Diego and an outstanding telecast to our national audiences.”
This season-opening game will take place on the U.S. Midway Museum and set to start at 5 p.m. Both the Orange and the Aztecs have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons.
The game also features a pair of coaches with national champions under their belt – Cuse’s Jim Boeheim and SDSU’s Steve Fisher.
“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in the release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)