Oct 5, 2012, 7:12 PM EST
Rumors circulated on Thursday that the Battle of the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State would be cancelled, due to lack of sponsorship.
However, 24 hours later, both schools, as well as FOX Sports San Diego – the network televising the game – confirmed that the Nov.9 non-conference matchup will in fact happen.
“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, Sr. Vice President and General Manager in a press release. “We’re happy to work with San Diego State and Syracuse to make Battle on the Midway a first-class event here in San Diego and an outstanding telecast to our national audiences.”
This season-opening game will take place on the U.S. Midway Museum and set to start at 5 p.m. Both the Orange and the Aztecs have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons.
The game also features a pair of coaches with national champions under their belt – Cuse’s Jim Boeheim and SDSU’s Steve Fisher.
“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” said Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross in the release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)