Oct 5, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
In Brian Gregory’s first season at Georgia Tech the Yellow Jackets struggled, as disciplinary issues and a lack of depth resulted in an 11-20 (4-12 ACC) campaign.
But Gregory picked up a very important victory on the recruiting trail as 2013 point guard Solomon Poole decided to join his older brother Stacey Jr. (a transfer from Kentucky) at Georgia Tech.
And according to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com the time for Solomon to set foot on the Georgia Tech campus could be sooner rather than later, and by “sooner” that means December.
The plan for Poole is to finish up his high school course work in December and then enroll at Georgia Tech after the first semester, sources told CBSSports.com.
“He is way ahead in school so that is the plan,” one source said. “But he has a lot of work to do to graduate in December.”
“It’s 50-50 right now,” a source said. “The next three weeks we will have a much better idea.”
In the 6-1 Poole the Yellow Jackets are adding a high-level point guard whenever he enrolls in classes, but to add a player of his caliber at the semester break would provide a much-needed boost.
Georgia Tech does return senior Mfon Udofia, who averaged 9.9 points and a team-best 2.8 assists per game as a junior. But Udofia also averaged 2.7 turnovers per contest, a number that has to decrease with or without Solomon Poole enrolling early.
Grad student Pierre Jordan, who averaged 11.5 minutes per game last season, took good care of the basketball during his limited time on the floor and may factor into the rotation thanks in part to freshman Corey Heyward’s torn ACL.
Georgia Tech has bodies at the off-guard position with two transfers (Poole Jr. and former Arkansas State guard Brandon Reed) joining freshman Chris Bolden but none of the three have suited up for the Yellow Jackets.
Adding Poole, who is an explosive player with the basketball in his hands, could both alleviate some of the pressure on Udofia to make things happen while also giving the Yellow Jackets a dimension they lacked in 2011-12.
The Yellow Jackets landed a solid freshman class (Bolden, Heyward, wing Marcus Georges-Hunt and power forward Robert Carter), but being able to account for the loss of Heyward by adding Poole would make that group even better.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)