Oct 5, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) point guard Dayshon Smith is off the board as of Friday night. The 6-foot-2 guard and one of the highest rising guards in New England, has verbally committed to Dayton.
Smith broke the news himself, announcing it via his personal Twitter account.
“Next year I will be attending the University of Dayton,” tweeted Smith.
Smith finished his junior campaign strong and it carried over to the AAU circuit with the New York Lightning. It was in the summer that Smith got offers from Providence, Illinois, and Penn State. He also began to gain interest from Memphis, who recently got a commitment from Smith’s AAU teammate, Kuran Iverson.
However the majority of the interest Smith received from the Atlantic 10 Conference with schools like Duquense, Fordham, Rhode Island, and UMass all offering, along with the Flyers.
In recent months, Smith had taken visits to Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, and Providence. He had been to both Dayton and Duquense within the last month.
“After those two visits I felt comfortable making my decision,” Smith told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein. “Dayton did a great job recruiting me. They had a good connection with my family and they didn’t miss a game all summer.”
Smith joins Morgan Park High (Ill.) guard Kyle Davis as part of Dayton’s 2013 recruiting class.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)