Oct 5, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) point guard Dayshon Smith is off the board as of Friday night. The 6-foot-2 guard and one of the highest rising guards in New England, has verbally committed to Dayton.
Smith broke the news himself, announcing it via his personal Twitter account.
“Next year I will be attending the University of Dayton,” tweeted Smith.
Smith finished his junior campaign strong and it carried over to the AAU circuit with the New York Lightning. It was in the summer that Smith got offers from Providence, Illinois, and Penn State. He also began to gain interest from Memphis, who recently got a commitment from Smith’s AAU teammate, Kuran Iverson.
However the majority of the interest Smith received from the Atlantic 10 Conference with schools like Duquense, Fordham, Rhode Island, and UMass all offering, along with the Flyers.
In recent months, Smith had taken visits to Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, and Providence. He had been to both Dayton and Duquense within the last month.
“After those two visits I felt comfortable making my decision,” Smith told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein. “Dayton did a great job recruiting me. They had a good connection with my family and they didn’t miss a game all summer.”
Smith joins Morgan Park High (Ill.) guard Kyle Davis as part of Dayton’s 2013 recruiting class.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)