Oct 5, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) point guard Dayshon Smith is off the board as of Friday night. The 6-foot-2 guard and one of the highest rising guards in New England, has verbally committed to Dayton.
Smith broke the news himself, announcing it via his personal Twitter account.
“Next year I will be attending the University of Dayton,” tweeted Smith.
Smith finished his junior campaign strong and it carried over to the AAU circuit with the New York Lightning. It was in the summer that Smith got offers from Providence, Illinois, and Penn State. He also began to gain interest from Memphis, who recently got a commitment from Smith’s AAU teammate, Kuran Iverson.
However the majority of the interest Smith received from the Atlantic 10 Conference with schools like Duquense, Fordham, Rhode Island, and UMass all offering, along with the Flyers.
In recent months, Smith had taken visits to Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, and Providence. He had been to both Dayton and Duquense within the last month.
“After those two visits I felt comfortable making my decision,” Smith told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein. “Dayton did a great job recruiting me. They had a good connection with my family and they didn’t miss a game all summer.”
Smith joins Morgan Park High (Ill.) guard Kyle Davis as part of Dayton’s 2013 recruiting class.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)