Oct 5, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) point guard Dayshon Smith is off the board as of Friday night. The 6-foot-2 guard and one of the highest rising guards in New England, has verbally committed to Dayton.
Smith broke the news himself, announcing it via his personal Twitter account.
“Next year I will be attending the University of Dayton,” tweeted Smith.
Smith finished his junior campaign strong and it carried over to the AAU circuit with the New York Lightning. It was in the summer that Smith got offers from Providence, Illinois, and Penn State. He also began to gain interest from Memphis, who recently got a commitment from Smith’s AAU teammate, Kuran Iverson.
However the majority of the interest Smith received from the Atlantic 10 Conference with schools like Duquense, Fordham, Rhode Island, and UMass all offering, along with the Flyers.
In recent months, Smith had taken visits to Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, and Providence. He had been to both Dayton and Duquense within the last month.
“After those two visits I felt comfortable making my decision,” Smith told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein. “Dayton did a great job recruiting me. They had a good connection with my family and they didn’t miss a game all summer.”
Smith joins Morgan Park High (Ill.) guard Kyle Davis as part of Dayton’s 2013 recruiting class.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)