Oct 5, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Putnam Science Academy (Conn.) point guard Dayshon Smith is off the board as of Friday night. The 6-foot-2 guard and one of the highest rising guards in New England, has verbally committed to Dayton.
Smith broke the news himself, announcing it via his personal Twitter account.
“Next year I will be attending the University of Dayton,” tweeted Smith.
Smith finished his junior campaign strong and it carried over to the AAU circuit with the New York Lightning. It was in the summer that Smith got offers from Providence, Illinois, and Penn State. He also began to gain interest from Memphis, who recently got a commitment from Smith’s AAU teammate, Kuran Iverson.
However the majority of the interest Smith received from the Atlantic 10 Conference with schools like Duquense, Fordham, Rhode Island, and UMass all offering, along with the Flyers.
In recent months, Smith had taken visits to Syracuse, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, and Providence. He had been to both Dayton and Duquense within the last month.
“After those two visits I felt comfortable making my decision,” Smith told ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein. “Dayton did a great job recruiting me. They had a good connection with my family and they didn’t miss a game all summer.”
Smith joins Morgan Park High (Ill.) guard Kyle Davis as part of Dayton’s 2013 recruiting class.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)