Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
I really hope you haven’t spent money on tickets for or a flight to that season-opening game between Syracuse and San Diego State on the USS Midway out in San Diego.
Because it looks like the game won’t be happening.
According to a report from Mark Ziegler, the fan fest on the pier, the concert for charity and the gala dinner scheduled to take place along with the game have all been cancelled, and he has a handful of sources saying that the game is going to be getting the axe next.
The first domino to fall was the president of the San Diego Sports Commission, the group hosting the event, left the organization. As a result, sponsorship money has been, well, nonexistent.
That left a lone basketball game scheduled in a temporary outdoor stadium that holds about 4,000. There is a television deal with Fox Sports San Diego to produce and distribute the game nationally, but promoters have yet to announce any national sponsors – the lifeblood of any one-off event with a modest seating capacity. Tickets for the game are upwards of $1,000; the game is not sold out, although tickets have not yet been offered to the general public.
With the promoter and sports commission unable to generate sponsorships, the sources said, Fox Sports San Diego, SDSU and Syracuse have been frantically trying to arrange enough financial backing to salvage a game that is a mere five weeks away.
Representatives from promotions company Syndicus Entertainment did not return messages. SDSU officials declined comment.
“I am just starting to hear dribbles (of information),” said Mac McLaughlin, president and CEO of the Midway Museum. “I know they have had sponsorship challenges. That’s all I know. We’re the Midway. We’re just here to service San Diego State and the game. If there’s a game and we’re playing it on the Midway, we’re here for them.”
Jim Boeheim torpedoed the game.
Because he really, really hates leaving New York before Big East play kicks off.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (5)