Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
I really hope you haven’t spent money on tickets for or a flight to that season-opening game between Syracuse and San Diego State on the USS Midway out in San Diego.
Because it looks like the game won’t be happening.
According to a report from Mark Ziegler, the fan fest on the pier, the concert for charity and the gala dinner scheduled to take place along with the game have all been cancelled, and he has a handful of sources saying that the game is going to be getting the axe next.
The first domino to fall was the president of the San Diego Sports Commission, the group hosting the event, left the organization. As a result, sponsorship money has been, well, nonexistent.
That left a lone basketball game scheduled in a temporary outdoor stadium that holds about 4,000. There is a television deal with Fox Sports San Diego to produce and distribute the game nationally, but promoters have yet to announce any national sponsors – the lifeblood of any one-off event with a modest seating capacity. Tickets for the game are upwards of $1,000; the game is not sold out, although tickets have not yet been offered to the general public.
With the promoter and sports commission unable to generate sponsorships, the sources said, Fox Sports San Diego, SDSU and Syracuse have been frantically trying to arrange enough financial backing to salvage a game that is a mere five weeks away.
Representatives from promotions company Syndicus Entertainment did not return messages. SDSU officials declined comment.
“I am just starting to hear dribbles (of information),” said Mac McLaughlin, president and CEO of the Midway Museum. “I know they have had sponsorship challenges. That’s all I know. We’re the Midway. We’re just here to service San Diego State and the game. If there’s a game and we’re playing it on the Midway, we’re here for them.”
Jim Boeheim torpedoed the game.
Because he really, really hates leaving New York before Big East play kicks off.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)