Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
I really hope you haven’t spent money on tickets for or a flight to that season-opening game between Syracuse and San Diego State on the USS Midway out in San Diego.
Because it looks like the game won’t be happening.
According to a report from Mark Ziegler, the fan fest on the pier, the concert for charity and the gala dinner scheduled to take place along with the game have all been cancelled, and he has a handful of sources saying that the game is going to be getting the axe next.
The first domino to fall was the president of the San Diego Sports Commission, the group hosting the event, left the organization. As a result, sponsorship money has been, well, nonexistent.
That left a lone basketball game scheduled in a temporary outdoor stadium that holds about 4,000. There is a television deal with Fox Sports San Diego to produce and distribute the game nationally, but promoters have yet to announce any national sponsors – the lifeblood of any one-off event with a modest seating capacity. Tickets for the game are upwards of $1,000; the game is not sold out, although tickets have not yet been offered to the general public.
With the promoter and sports commission unable to generate sponsorships, the sources said, Fox Sports San Diego, SDSU and Syracuse have been frantically trying to arrange enough financial backing to salvage a game that is a mere five weeks away.
Representatives from promotions company Syndicus Entertainment did not return messages. SDSU officials declined comment.
“I am just starting to hear dribbles (of information),” said Mac McLaughlin, president and CEO of the Midway Museum. “I know they have had sponsorship challenges. That’s all I know. We’re the Midway. We’re just here to service San Diego State and the game. If there’s a game and we’re playing it on the Midway, we’re here for them.”
Jim Boeheim torpedoed the game.
Because he really, really hates leaving New York before Big East play kicks off.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)