Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
I really hope you haven’t spent money on tickets for or a flight to that season-opening game between Syracuse and San Diego State on the USS Midway out in San Diego.
Because it looks like the game won’t be happening.
According to a report from Mark Ziegler, the fan fest on the pier, the concert for charity and the gala dinner scheduled to take place along with the game have all been cancelled, and he has a handful of sources saying that the game is going to be getting the axe next.
The first domino to fall was the president of the San Diego Sports Commission, the group hosting the event, left the organization. As a result, sponsorship money has been, well, nonexistent.
That left a lone basketball game scheduled in a temporary outdoor stadium that holds about 4,000. There is a television deal with Fox Sports San Diego to produce and distribute the game nationally, but promoters have yet to announce any national sponsors – the lifeblood of any one-off event with a modest seating capacity. Tickets for the game are upwards of $1,000; the game is not sold out, although tickets have not yet been offered to the general public.
With the promoter and sports commission unable to generate sponsorships, the sources said, Fox Sports San Diego, SDSU and Syracuse have been frantically trying to arrange enough financial backing to salvage a game that is a mere five weeks away.
Representatives from promotions company Syndicus Entertainment did not return messages. SDSU officials declined comment.
“I am just starting to hear dribbles (of information),” said Mac McLaughlin, president and CEO of the Midway Museum. “I know they have had sponsorship challenges. That’s all I know. We’re the Midway. We’re just here to service San Diego State and the game. If there’s a game and we’re playing it on the Midway, we’re here for them.”
Jim Boeheim torpedoed the game.
Because he really, really hates leaving New York before Big East play kicks off.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 9
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)